World

Liverpool to pilot first UK city-wide virus test scheme

The city in the northwest of England has one of the worst infection rates in the country

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Nov 2020 7:00PM

Liverpool to pilot first UK city-wide virus test scheme
Tests will be carried out at various sites, including in hospitals, care homes, schools, universities, and workplaces, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said. – AFP pic, November 3, 2020

LONDON – Liverpool, which has one of the worst coronavirus infection rates in Britain, is to become the first in the country to trial city-wide testing, the government announced on Tuesday.

The programme will offer hundreds of thousands of new, rapid turnaround tests to all residents and workers, even if they are not displaying symptoms.

The northwestern city was one of the first in England to have tight new restrictions imposed following a surge in cases and deaths from the virus.

A combination of existing swab tests will be used, as well as new lateral flow tests, which can give results within an hour, in a pilot scheme that could be scaled up nationwide.

Tests will be carried out at various sites, including in hospitals, care homes, schools, universities, and workplaces, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said.

"Dependent on their success in Liverpool, we will aim to distribute millions of these new rapid tests between now and Christmas and empower local communities to use them to drive down transmission in their areas," he added. 

Britain has been the hardest hit country in Europe, with almost 47,000 fatalities of those testing positive for the virus.

The Office for National Statistics on Tuesday said deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending October 23 were 980 more than the five-year average.

Of those, 978 mentioned coronavirus on the death certificate.

England goes into a second lockdown from Thursday, following dire warnings about hospitals being overwhelmed and death rates spiking if infections keep rising.

But Johnson is facing a backlash about the economic impact of the restrictions, as all non-essential shops and services will close.

Britain's National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), which protects against online attacks, meanwhile said a quarter of the incidents it responded to over the last year were coronavirus related.

The NCSC said in its annual report that it handled 723 incidents between September 1, 2019, and August 31, 2020, with 194 related to coronavirus.

"The world changed in 2020 and so did the balance of threats we are seeing," said Jeremy Fleming, director of GCHQ, the parent organisation of the NCSC.

"The expertise of the NCSC... has been invaluable in keeping the country safe: enabling us to defend our democracy, counter high levels of malicious state and criminal activity, and protect against those who have tried to exploit the pandemic," he added.

Earlier this year, Britain, the United States and Canada accused Russian hackers of targeting their labs conducting coronavirus research. – AFP, November 3, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 9mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons