World

Chief doctor at Siberian hospital that treated Navalny promoted

Alexander Murakhovsky made head of regional Health Ministry

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 07 Nov 2020 8:00PM

Chief doctor at Siberian hospital that treated Navalny promoted
Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny believes the Russian president is personally responsible for his poisoning. – AFP pic, November 7, 2020

MOSCOW – The chief doctor at a hospital in the Siberian city of Omsk that briefly treated poisoned Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny has been promoted to head of the regional Health Ministry, said local authorities today.

In August, 44-year-old Navalny fell severely ill on a flight from Siberia to Moscow, and was hospitalised in Omsk after an emergency landing.

The anti-graft campaigner was eventually transferred for treatment to Germany, where experts ruled that he was poisoned with the Soviet-designed nerve agent Novichok.

Alexander Murakhovsky, the head physician at Omsk Emergency Hospital No.1, was among the doctors who claimed that no traces of poison were found in Navalny’s system and stalled his transportation to Berlin.

A statement published on the website of the regional government said Murakhovsky “has completed all the professional steps, (and) as a doctor and leader, knows and understands all the processes that take place in healthcare”.

It said his candidacy “was confirmed with the leadership of the Health Ministry of the Russian Federation. Alexander Murakhovsky has been appointed to the post of the health minister of the region”.

Yesterday, the Siberian branch of the Interior Ministry said doctors in Omsk confirmed that Navalny’s illness was caused by metabolic problems and pancreatitis, ruling out poisoning.

Navalny has claimed that Russian President Vladimir Putin is personally responsible for the poisoning.

The Kremlin has rejected all allegations that it could have been involved, and has accused Germany of not cooperating in investigating the incident.

Last month, the European Union sanctioned several senior Russian officials over the poisoning, saying the attack with Novichok could not have been carried out without the complicity of the FSB security service, Defence Ministry and Putin’s office.

Navalny, who remains in Germany for treatment, has vowed to return to Russia after fully recovering. – AFP, November 7, 2020

Related News

Education / 1w

Zambry leads Malaysia delegation to Russia for bilateral cooperation talks

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

World / 2w

Why Russia is expanding the Northern Sea Route

Education / 1mth

Malaysia must embrace AI in education to avoid falling behind

LENS: KL / 3mth

Russian Embassy in Kuala Lumpur holds special May Day remembrance

Malaysia / 4mth

Petronas to negotiate oil purchase with Russia to secure national supply

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident