World

Portugal extends virus emergency

Lockdown to go on until December 8

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 21 Nov 2020 4:30PM

Portugal extends virus emergency
More than 80% of Portugal's population has been under partial lockdown, although the measures are less strict than those imposed in the spring. – AFP pic, November 21, 2020

LISBON – Portugal yesterday extended until December 8 the state of emergency it imposed to bring down the coronavirus infection rate as the second wave of the disease spreads.

President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa announced he had signed the decree extending the emergency measures which had been due to lapse on Monday, warning that a further extension remains a possibility.

"The state of emergency will last as long as is necessary to fight against the pandemic" he said in a televised address.

While the second wave of the virus should reach its peak in late November or early December, a third wave will “probably” follow early next year, the president added.

More than 80% of Portugal's population has been under partial lockdown, although the measures are less strict than those imposed in spring.

The announcement came after the socialist government held an emergency cabinet meeting to decide on the virus restrictions going forward.

The precise measures to be applied from Tuesday, and the extent to which they differ from those already in place, will be announced on Saturday

Local media have said that the capital Lisbon could move to a three-tiered system depending on the infection risk in each municipality.

Since November 9, those living in the worst-hit areas have had to observe a night-time curfew and at weekends, the curfew starts at 1pm.

Working from home is obligatory in these areas, though schools have remained open.

The north of the country has been particularly badly hit by the virus. – AFP, November 21, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 10mth

Kuala Lumpur under full lockdown in conjunction with 47th ASEAN Summit

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month