World

Ukraine reclaims swathes of territory in shock offensive to oust Russia

Military says about 3,000sq km of land wrested from invaders

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 11 Sep 2022 9:00PM

Ukraine reclaims swathes of territory in shock offensive to oust Russia
A photograph shows Ukrainian flags placed on statues in a square in Balakliya, Kharkiv region, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. – The Vibes pic, September 11, 2022

KHARKIV – Ukraine said today that its forces were pushing back Russia’s military from strategic holdouts in the country’s east after Moscow announced a retreat from Kyiv’s sweeping counter-offensive.

Ukraine’s nuclear energy agency said the final reactor at the Russian-controlled Zaporizhzhia plant, Europe’s largest nuclear power station and a focal point of the conflict, was shut off as a safety measure.

The speed of Ukraine’s fightback against Russia’s invasion has apparently caught Moscow’s military off-guard, bringing swathes of territory Russia had controlled for months back into Ukraine’s fold.

Crates of dumped munitions and abandoned military hardware were seen scattered in territory left by the Russian forces, images posted by the Ukrainian military showed.

“The liberation of settlements in the Kupiansk and Izyum districts of the Kharkiv region is ongoing,” the Ukrainian military said in a general battlefield update today, 200 days into Russia’s invasion.

These are key supply and logistics hubs that Russia depends on to restock its frontline positions in the east.

Military observers have said their capture by Ukraine would be a serious blow to Moscow’s military ambitions in Kharkiv.

‘Weapons, weapons, weapons’

The head of the Ukrainian military announced early today that as much as 3,000sq km had been wrested from Russia since the offensive began at the beginning of this month.

That figure is already around one-third larger than the total area announced by President Volodymyr Zelensky late yesterday. Today, he announced that Ukraine forces had taken a village of around 4,000 people between Kharkiv and Izyum.

“The great Ukrainian flag has been returned to Chkalovske. And it will be like that everywhere. We will cast out the occupiers from every Ukrainian town and village,” he said in a video online.

Ukrainian officials this weekend hailed the “astonishing” pace of the counter-offensive and todau, the country’s foreign minister used the momentum to appeal to Western allies for more stockpiles of sophisticated weapons.

“Weapons, weapons, weapons have been on our agenda since spring. I am grateful to partners who have answered our call: Ukraine’s battlefield successes are our shared ones,” Dmytro Kuleba said.

“Prompt supplies bring victory and peace closer,” his statement on social media read.

The reaction in Moscow to the Ukrainian gains so far has been muted, but today an official in the border region of Belgorod said “thousands” of people had fled the Kharkiv region over the border and into Russia.

More than 1,000 people were being housed in temporary shelters, the official, Vyacheslav Gladkov, said.

The Russian military meanwhile made the surprise announcement today that it was “regrouping” its forces from Kharkiv to the Donetsk region just south to focus its military efforts there.

But the announcement came shortly after Moscow also said it was actually sending reinforcements towards Kharkiv.

Around Balakliya, one of the first towns to be recaptured by Ukrainian troops, observers saw evidence of fierce battles, with buildings destroyed or damaged and streets mainly deserted.

It was scary

Iryna Stepanenko, 52, who was outside cycling for the first time in months, said she had hidden in her basement for three months.

“There was a lot of fear, shelling. It was scary,” she recounted of the Russian takeover and Ukraine’s bid to recapture the town, where some 27,000 people lived before the invasion.

She said she was relieved to see Kyiv’s forces retake the town but was still worried about the future.

“I’m worried the Russians could return. I’m worried the shelling could start again.”

Despite the reported Ukrainian gains, Russian forces have continued bombardments across the frontline, and in the Donetsk region, officials said shelling killed 10 people and wounded another 19.

An uptick in fighting in and around the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant meanwhile has sharpened fears of another nuclear incident comparable to the Chernobyl disaster in northern Ukraine in 1986.

Ukraine’s state nuclear agency today said that the sixth and final reactor at the plant had been shut off and instead transferred to a cold shutdown.

Energoatom said that the sixth reactor had been generating energy for the plant itself for three days and that the decision to halt its operations came when external power had been restored to the facility.

It cautioned again, however, that in its view the only way to ensure the safety of the facility would be to create a demilitarised zone around it. – AFP, September 11, 2022

Related News

Education / 1w

Zambry leads Malaysia delegation to Russia for bilateral cooperation talks

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

World / 2w

Why Russia is expanding the Northern Sea Route

Education / 1mth

Malaysia must embrace AI in education to avoid falling behind

LENS: KL / 3mth

Russian Embassy in Kuala Lumpur holds special May Day remembrance

Malaysia / 4mth

Petronas to negotiate oil purchase with Russia to secure national supply

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline