World

Pelosi ‘heartbroken, traumatised’ over attack on husband

San Francisco police chief says incident was intentional, not random act

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 30 Oct 2022 11:30AM

Pelosi ‘heartbroken, traumatised’ over attack on husband
According to reports, 42-year-old David Depape had broken into US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (pic) home in San Francisco early Friday morning and attacked her husband Paul Pelosi with a hammer, fracturing his skull. – AFP pic, October 30, 2022

WASHINGTON – Speaker of the United States House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi said yesterday she and her family are “heartbroken and traumatised” by the violent attack on her husband at their California home. 

An intruder had broken into the couple’s house in San Francisco early Friday morning and attacked the speaker’s husband Paul Pelosi with a hammer, fracturing his skull.

“Our children, our grandchildren and I are heartbroken and traumatised by the life-threatening attack on our Pop,” Pelosi said of the incident in a letter posted to Twitter yesterday evening. 

“We are grateful for the quick response of law enforcement and emergency services, and for the life-saving medical care he is receiving,” she said, in her first comment about the attack.

Paul Pelosi, 82 – who underwent surgery and is recovering in hospital – was at home alone, as his wife was working in Washington.

“His condition continues to improve,” Pelosi said in the letter. 

San Francisco police said officers found the assailant at the couple’s home just before 2.30am, where he and Paul Pelosi were scuffling over a hammer.

“The suspect pulled the hammer away from Mr Pelosi and violently assaulted him with it,” San Francisco police chief Bill Scott told reporters, saying later that Paul Pelosi was hit at least once.

Police identified the assailant as 42-year-old David Depape, with Scott saying Depape would be charged with attempted homicide, assault with a deadly weapon, burglary and other felonies.

“This was not a random act,” Scott said. 

“This was intentional, and it is wrong.”

The suspect “demanded to confront me and brutally attacked my husband Paul,” Pelosi – who is second in line to the presidency – said in yesterday’s letter. 

‘This talk produces violence’

US media, citing family sources, said the intruder told Paul Pelosi he was going to tie him up and wait for the speaker to get home.

Local media had earlier reported that the intruder shouted “Where’s Nancy?” during the assault, which came less than two weeks ahead of the midterm elections.

And speaking after voting in his home state of Delaware yesterday afternoon, President Joe Biden said he does not “know for certain, but it looks like this (assault) was intended for Nancy”.

He again denounced the attack, calling out increasingly polarising political rhetoric.  

“You can’t condemn the violence unless you condemn those people who continue to argue the election was not real, that it’s being stolen – all the malarkey that’s been put out there to undermine democracy,” he said. 

“This talk produces the violence,” he added. 

The suspect, whom the Wall Street Journal reported broke in through a sliding-glass door, citing enforcement officers, had espoused extreme right-wing positions on social media, one of the officers told the newspaper.

Several Republicans also spoke out against the attack, including House minority whip Steve Scalise, who himself was shot at a congressional baseball practice in 2017 and said he is “disgusted” by Friday’s assault. – AFP, October 30, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

Two policemen seriously injured after violent attack by drug addict

Malaysia / 2mth

Man injured after attack by crocodile in Port Dickson

Malaysia / 4mth

Drug suspect attacks policeman with machete in Melaka

Malaysia / 4mth

Police tracking four suspects related to machete attack in Triang

Malaysia / 5mth

Alleged attack on Zamri Vinoth: 4 men surrender, remanded for 2 days to assist probe

Malaysia / 6mth

Defamation case linking Ismail Sabri to attack on Rafizi's son classified as NFA

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest