World

Armenia, Azerbaijan hold US talks hours after new shootout

Superpower committed to peace negotiations between both countries, says state secretary

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 08 Nov 2022 2:00PM

Armenia, Azerbaijan hold US talks hours after new shootout
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken (centre-right) speaks during a meeting with Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov (left) and Armenia’s Foreign Minister Ararat Mirzoyan (right) at Blair House, November 7, 2022, in Washington, DC. Armenia and Azerbaijan on November 7 traded accusations of provoking a shootout along their troubled border, just hours before the arch-foes were to hold US-mediated peace talks. – AFP pic, November 8, 2022

WASHINGTON – Armenia and Azerbaijan held peace talks yesterday, mediated by the United States, just hours after a fresh shootout along their troubled border in a conflict which has left hundreds dead in recent months.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken hosted the foreign ministers of the rival nations.

“The United States is committed to the peace negotiations between Armenia and Azerbaijan,” Blinken said before the meeting. “Direct dialogue is the best way to a truly durable peace, and we are very pleased to support that.”

An American official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the meeting was less about peace negotiations in the full sense of the term, and more about providing an opportunity for the warring parties to meet and talk.

A week ago, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev “agreed not to use force” to resolve their dispute over the Nagorno-Karabakh territory, during a summit in Russia hosted by President Vladimir Putin.

However, in the early hours of yesterday, Azerbaijani forces opened fire on Armenian positions in the eastern sector of the Armenian-Azerbaijani border, the Defence Ministry in Erevan said in a statement, adding there had been no casualties.

Meanwhile, Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry accused Armenian forces of shooting at the positions of Azerbaijani troops stationed at several locations on the frontier.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov yesterday called on both parties to “refrain from the actions and steps that could lead to an escalation of tensions.”

Erevan and Baku fought two wars over the disputed territory of Nagorno-Karabakh – in autumn of 2020 and in the 1990s.

Six weeks of fighting in 2020 claimed more than 6,500 lives before a Russian-brokered truce ended the hostilities.

Under the 2020 deal, Armenia ceded swathes of territory it had controlled for decades, and Russia stationed peacekeepers to oversee the fragile ceasefire.

There have been frequent exchanges of fire at the Caucasus neighbors’ border since the 2020 war.

In September, more than 280 people from both sides were killed in new clashes.

When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, ethnic Armenian separatists in Nagorno-Karabakh broke away from Azerbaijan. The ensuing conflict claimed around 30,000 lives. – AFP, November 8, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

The calm in the Strait of Hormuz could be very brief

Malaysia / 4mth

Malaysia, Australia back Pope Leo's call for peace, urge dialogue to end global conflicts

Malaysia / 4mth

Preserve peace as key foundation for well-being of Ummah - Raja Muda of Perlis

Malaysia / 5mth

Minister warns of firm action against anyone threatening national peace

Malaysia / 5mth

13 Malaysians in Iran refuse to return, sign indemnity letters

Malaysia / 10mth

Peace must not lead to complacency in national defence preparedness - PM

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates