World

Families of Boeing MAX crash victims set to face company in US court

This comes some four years after tragedies in Ethiopia, Indonesia

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 26 Jan 2023 3:00PM

Families of Boeing MAX crash victims set to face company in US court
Court proceedings in Fort Worth in the US state of Texas today are expected to include Boeing entering either a guilty or not guilty plea in a criminal settlement over two crashes involving its 737 MAX aircraft. – AFP pic, January 26, 2023

NEW YORK – Relatives of passengers who died in the twin Boeing 737 MAX crashes are scheduled to confront the airplane maker today in a US court, some four years after the tragedies in Ethiopia and Indonesia.

The proceeding in Fort Worth, Texas, long sought by the families and resisted by the aerospace giant, is expected to include Boeing’s entry of either a guilty or not guilty plea in a US criminal settlement over the calamities that claimed 346 lives.

The families have already chalked up some victories from US district judge Reed O’Connor, who last week ordered a Boeing representative to appear at today’s arraignment after ruling in October that the Justice Department’s (DoJ) deferred prosecution agreement (DPA) with Boeing was negotiated in violation of the families’ rights.

But those were stepping stones to the families’ ultimate ambition in the case: Undoing key elements of the DPA, which required Boeing to pay US$2.5 billion (RM10.6 billion) in fines and restitution in exchange for immunity from criminal prosecution for charges Boeing defrauded the government during the certification of the MAX.

Boeing and its top executives deserve no such relief, argue attorneys for the families, who also plan to ask the court to establish an independent monitor because “the Justice Department cannot be trusted to monitor Boeing,” they say in a brief.

“This is a case that involved 346 people dying,” said attorney Paul Cassell. “Why you wouldn’t want an independent set of eyes looking in and making sure the criminal conduct isn’t still going on is beyond me.”

Boeing has avoided commenting on the case outside of legal briefs, but chief executive (CEO) Dave Calhoun told CNBC yesterday that he felt “nothing but heartbreak” for the families and supported their right to a hearing.

“With respect to the legal proceeding itself, that’s not a subject that I’m qualified to talk about,” Calhoun said.

Victim’s rights

The families have criticised the agreement ever since it was announced in January 2021, waging a battle not only against Boeing, but a second 800-pound gorilla: the Justice Department.

In unveiling the agreement, DoJ said Boeing was being held accountable for “fraudulent and deceptive” conduct towards Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulators during the MAX certification when the company omitted key facts about the Manoeuvring Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS), a flight handling system that badly malfunctioned in both crashes.

The DoJ’s case spotlighted the deceptions of two Boeing technical pilots, but absolved leadership, concluding Boeing’s misconduct was neither “pervasive” nor “facilitated by senior management,” according to the DPA.

But the families have rejected the validity of the agreement, arguing in legal briefs that Boeing’s immunisation from prosecution should be stripped because the DoJ flouted the US Crime Victims’ Rights Act, which required the government to confer with them prior to entering into the agreement.

O’Connor, in an October 21 ruling, backed the families’ essential argument, ruling that they qualified as “crime victims” and concluding that Boeing’s deceptions cost the relatives their loved ones.

“In sum, but for Boeing’s criminal conspiracy to defraud the FAA, 346 people would not have lost their lives in the crashes,” O’Connor wrote.

Prosecutorial discretion

Adding to the families’ momentum has been the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), which in September fined Boeing US$200 million for misleading investors about the MAX.

The SEC case homed in on a November 2018 press release approved by then-CEO Dennis Muilenburg after the first deadly crash on Indonesia’s Lion Air.

He stated that the MAX was “as safe as any plane that has ever flown the skies,” even though the company was urgently addressing the MCAS problem.

The agency also penalised Muilenburg US$1 million in a settlement with the ex-CEO that accused him of “materially misleading” statements.

O’Connor has not ruled on potential remedies.

Legal experts say courts typically show deference towards the DoJ on such agreements.

“The judge could cancel the DPA but I think that is unlikely,” said Columbia University’s Prof John Coffee, who has criticised the DoJ’s Boeing settlement as emblematic of the government’s tendency to go easy on big, powerful companies.

“Prosecutors and the executive branch are given great discretion by law in that area (the decision to prosecute),” said Coffee in an email.

Brandon Garrett, a professor at Duke University law school, said courts should consider the public interest during reviews of DPAs, adding that US law “permits such review.”

But Garrett said courts have generally interpreted their role “very narrowly,” while the DoJ has usually opposed such a review.

“If this judge does reject the agreement, I could imagine the DoJ would appeal, citing their prosecutorial discretion to defer prosecution,” Garrett said. – AFP, January 26, 2023

Related News

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 1y

Boeing aircraft acquisition strengthens Malaysia's position in global aviation inductry

Malaysia / 2y

Fennec copter not flying at correct height when it crashed, says navy chief

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Business / 2y

US court orders J&J, Kenvue to pay US$45 million over death of baby powder user

World / 2y

Boeing whistleblower found dead from 'self-inflicted' gunshot wound

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline