World

Greece seeks answers over deadliest train tragedy

Station master to testify over disaster that claimed dozens of lives

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 02 Mar 2023 12:00PM

Greece seeks answers over deadliest train tragedy
An aerial drone photograph taken yesterday shows emergency crews examining the wreckage after a train accident in the Tempi Valley near Larissa, Greece. – AFP pic, March 2, 2023

LARISSA – A station master on duty during Greece’s deadliest train accident is to testify today in the central city of Larissa over the disaster that claimed dozens of lives, plunging the country into mourning.

The 59-year-old will appear before a prosecutor to explain how a passenger train with over 350 people on board was allowed to run on the same line as a freight train for several kilometres.

The two trains collided near a tunnel outside Larissa before midnight on Tuesday. Two carriages were crushed and a third caught fire, trapping people inside.

“It was a student train, full of kids...in their 20s,” Costas Bargiotas, a senior orthopaedic doctor at Larissa General Hospital, told Skai TV.

“It was truly shocking... the carriages crumpled like paper,” he said.

Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis – who will seek re-election this year with ballots expected in April – said it was a “terrible train accident without precedent” in Greece, promising that the tragedy would be “fully” investigated.

“Everything shows that the drama was, sadly, mainly due to a tragic human error,” Mitsotakis said in a televised address yesterday after visiting the disaster site.

Authorities have declared three days of national mourning.

Passengers have described scenes of horror and chaos, dodging smashed glass and debris as the train keeled over, and forced to break windows to climb out.

“It was a nightmare... I’m still shaking,” 22-year-old passenger Angelos said, adding that the collision felt “like a strong earthquake”.

Rescuers at the scene said they had never dealt with a disaster of this magnitude before. Many bodies were charred beyond recognition and some passengers were being identified from body parts.

“Unfortunately, some of these people will only be able to be identified” via DNA, Larissa mayor Apostolos Kalogiannis told Skai TV.

“I’ve never seen anything like this in my entire life,” said one rescue worker, emerging from the wreckage.

Several people are still believed to be missing – including two Cyprus nationals – though authorities have not released an official estimate.

Seventeen biological samples have been collected from remains, and from 23 relatives seeking a match, police said.

“It was the train of terror,” Pavlos Aslanidis, whose son is among the missing along with a friend, told reporters.

Rescuers were forced to call off the search late yesterday to give exhausted crews and crane operators a respite.

Greece’s transport minister submitted his resignation just hours after the accident.

“When something so tragic happens, we cannot continue as if nothing had happened,” Kostas Karamanlis said in a public statement.

But train unionists said the safety shortcomings of the Athens-Thessaloniki railway line had been known for years.

In an open letter last month, train staff said track safety systems were incomplete and poorly maintained.

A safety supervisor had resigned last year, warning that infrastructure upgrades pending since 2016 were incomplete and that train speeds of up to 200kph were unsafe.

Five years after Greek rail operator Trainose was sold to Ferrovie Dello Stato Italiane and became Hellenic Train, safety systems on the Athens-Thessaloniki line are still not fully automated.

Protests were held yesterday evening at the Thessaloniki train station, the city of Larissa, and outside the Athens offices of the railway’s Italian-owned operating company, Hellenic Train, where protesters threw rocks at the building and at police.

In Larissa, demonstrators held a silent vigil and brought white roses to form the word Tempe, the name of the valley where the accident took place.

Nikos Savva, a medical student from Cyprus, said the disaster was only a matter of time.

“The rail network looked problematic, with worn down, badly paid staff,” he said.

The station operator will be charged with negligent homicide today and faces a life sentence if convicted.

But Savva said the man “should not pay the price for a whole ailing system”.

“This is an inadmissible accident. We've known this situation for 30 years,” Larissa doctor Bargiotas said. – AFP, March 2, 2023

Related News

World / 10mth

Greta Thunberg lands in Greece with expelled Gaza flotilla activists

Malaysia / 3y

Man dies after run over by train in Pasir Mas

World / 3y

Greek president issues decree dissolving Parliament

World / 3y

Police raid Larissa station after Greek train crash

World / 3y

Toll rises to 42 in Greek train crash

World / 3y

Train accident in Greece kills at least 29

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates