World

Three arrested over killing of Philippine governor, eight others

One suspect killed in shootout, two of three detained were former soldiers who were dishonourably discharged

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 05 Mar 2023 7:30PM

Three arrested over killing of Philippine governor, eight others
An armed member of the police Special Action Force (SAF) stands guard in front of the municipal hall in Pamplona town in Negros Oriental on March 5, 2023, a day after provincial governor Roel Degamo and eight others were killed in a mass shooting. – AFP pic, March 5, 2023

PAMPLONA – Three people have been arrested over the murder of a Philippine provincial governor and eight others, authorities said today, adding another suspect was killed in a shootout.

Seventeen people were also wounded in the audacious attack yesterday in the sugarcane-growing heartland of the Philippines.

At least six gunmen armed with rifles and wearing military-style uniforms opened fire in the governor’s home in Pamplona municipality in the central province of Negros Oriental.

Governor Roel Degamo became the latest victim of a recent rash of assaults on local Philippine politicians.

Two of the three suspects arrested were former soldiers who were dishonourably discharged several years ago, the Philippine Army said in a statement.

A fourth suspect was killed in a shootout in a plantation last night, police spokesman Lt Col Gerard Pelare told journalists.

Pelare said about 10 suspects were involved in the attack. Authorities believed they were still on the island after ports were closed to prevent their escape, he said.

The previous death toll had been put at six but was raised to nine late yesterday, police said. Thirteen people were hospitalised for their wounds, while four others were treated for minor injuries.

Negros Oriental is one of two provinces on Negros island, which is the centre of the nation’s sugar industry and home to some of the country’s wealthiest landowners as well as some of its poorest farm workers.

Degamo, 56, was at least the third politician to be shot in the Philippines since last year’s general election.

The Supreme Court declared him last month the rightful winner of the contest for the Negros Oriental governorship following a recount that unseated his rival, who had previously been proclaimed victor.

Degamo had campaigned for President Ferdinand Marcos during Marcos’ run for the top job.

Marcos has condemned the “dastardly and heinous” assassination of his political ally and has sent his top officials, including police and military chiefs, to investigate.

Authorities presented evidence at a news conference today gathered from the suspects, including high-powered firearms and camouflage uniforms, and vowed to solve the case.

“We will capture the mastermind, I assure you that,” Interior Secretary Benjamin Abalos said. – AFP, March 5, 2023

Related News

Film / 1mth

Netflix film with Mark Wahlberg a major boost to Penang’s international profile

Malaysia / 2mth

Shooting aggressive sacrificial cow: Police confirm Perlis MB has shotgun license

Malaysia / 3mth

Duo nabbed over shooting incident in Bangsar, pistol and imitation gun seized

Malaysia / 5mth

Arrest made in connection with Bukit Kayu Hitam shooting, says Saifuddin

Malaysia / 7mth

Cops confirm shooting at Banting restaurant, motive under probe

Malaysia / 7mth

Shooting near fast food restaurant in Banting, man lies unconscious

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline