World

Brazil judge orders Bolsonaro to explain Saudi jewels

This, after he tried to illegally import jewellery worth US$3.2 mil upon returning from trip to Middle East

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 11 Mar 2023 11:40AM

Brazil judge orders Bolsonaro to explain Saudi jewels
A judge has ordered ex-president Jair Bolsonaro (pic) and his former mines and energy minister, Bento Albuquerque, to give depositions to investigators on whether the jewels were personal presents or gifts to the nation, and why they were not properly declared – under Brazilian law, travellers entering the country with goods worth more than US$1,000 are required to declare them. – AFP pic, March 11, 2023

BRASÍLIA – A Brazilian judge yesterday ruled that former president Jair Bolsonaro must face questioning over reports he tried to illegally import jewellery worth US$3.2 million (RM14.46 million) gifted to him and his wife by Saudi Arabia.

The far-right ex-army captain has faced mounting questions over the October 2021 episode, in which customs officers allegedly seized undeclared diamond jewels, since Brazilian media reported on it last week.

The jewels were allegedly carried by a government aide in a backpack returning from an official trip to the Middle East.

A judge on Brazil’s Federal Court of Accounts, which oversees the government coffers, ordered Bolsonaro and his former mines and energy minister, Bento Albuquerque, to give depositions to investigators on whether the jewels were personal presents or gifts to the nation, and why they were not properly declared.

Bolsonaro lost re-election to another four-year term in October, and has been in the US state of Florida since two days before his leftist successor, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, took office on January 1.

Judge Augusto Nardes ordered Bolsonaro not to “wear, make use of or transfer ownership of any piece from the collection”.

According to newspaper Estado de Sao Paulo, which first broke the story, Bolsonaro administration officials intervened at least eight times to try to convince customs officers to release the seized jewels – a necklace, a ring, a watch and a pair of earrings from Swiss luxury house Chopard.

Subsequent media reports said a second set of gifted jewels from Saudi Arabia was brought into Brazil undetected after the same trip and given to Bolsonaro.

The second set reportedly features a watch, a pen and a pair of cufflinks, also made by Chopard.

Federal police and tax officials both announced Monday they had opened investigations into the case.

Under Brazilian law, travellers entering the country with goods worth more than US$1,000 are required to declare them.

The first family would then either have had to pay import duty on the jewels – equal to half their value – or give them to the presidential palace collection as official gifts to the nation.

Bolsonaro denies wrongdoing.

“They’re accusing me over a gift I neither requested nor received,” he told CNN Brasil last Saturday from the United States. – AFP, March 11, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

Thailand's raw sugar export restriction won’t affect affect supply in M’sia: minister

World / 2y

Bigger BRICS ‘stronger, more important’ says Brazil’s Lula

Fashion / 3y

Plus-size movement reshapes fashion in Brazil

Places / 3y

In Brazil, stargazers escape cities in search of ‘astro-tourism’

World / 3y

Brazil court bars ex-president Bolsonaro from re-election until 2030

Health / 3y

Cannabis compound CBD found in common Brazilian shrub

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates