Malaysia

NSC eyes legal action against employers that don’t screen their foreign workers

Failure to do so will result in bigger disasters for themselves, says senior minister

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 15 Dec 2020 8:35PM

NSC eyes legal action against employers that don’t screen their foreign workers
So far this month, the Human Resources and Health Ministries have screened more than 17,000 workers, of which 555 were found to be positive for Covid-19. – The Vibes file pic, December 15, 2020

by A. Azim Idris

KUALA LUMPUR – The National Security Council (NSC) has asked the attorney-general to look into legal provisions that can be used against companies refusing to screen their foreign workers for Covid-19, said Senior Minister (Defence) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

In his daily briefing today, he said the government has evidence of employers flouting regulations by failing to screen their foreign workers.

He added that employers should not wait until legal action is taken before carrying out the Covid-19 tests.

“This is to prevent outbreaks in their factories and to prevent the closure of the premises.

“So, I have urged employers to cooperate with the Human Resources Ministry and the Health Ministry because their failure to do so will result in bigger disasters for themselves."

He said if cases are detected among their workers, the government would be forced to shut down their factories, adding it is better that they cooperate as their losses would be greater otherwise.

He added that between December 1 and 14, the two ministries have screened more than 17,000 workers, of which 555 were found to be positive and 16,400 tested negative.

The screenings, he said, involved 663 industries and 652 clinics.

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) has inspected 17 construction sites across the country and found them in compliance with standard operating procedures.

On travellers wishing to return to Malaysia, Ismail Sabri said they are required to undertake a swab test three days before they depart the country, and will then be quarantined for seven days upon arrival.

He added that those unable to be screened before returning home would need to have the swab tests done in Malaysia and be quarantined a maximum of 10 days if they test negative.

The minister said 86,344 individuals have returned to the country since the beginning of the movement control order imposed early this year, with 693 of them arriving yesterday. All arrivals were given mandatory quarantine orders, he added. – The Vibes, December 15, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

Mandatory EPF contributions for foreign workers to begin in October

Malaysia / 1y

Manage CLQs well or risk losing licence, Sim reminds employers

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

AUKU repeal to focus on universities, not students, says Fahmi

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Five arrested as Johor police open three probes into reversed state and Malaysian flags

Malaysia

Factory clerk loses RM101,000 in fake online job scam

Malaysia

Pahang hospitals test drones to deliver blood samples

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

Malaysia

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

PRN Melaka: PN or PH? BN to decide on August 28

Malaysia

Sarawak puts harmony with nature at heart of tourism pitch to global travel industry