Malaysia

Najib files for house arrest, says previous king wanted him to serve sentence at home

Former PM seeks copy of purported 'supplementary order' from previous Agong.

Updated 2 years ago · Published on 03 Apr 2024 3:12PM

Najib files for house arrest, says previous king wanted him to serve sentence at home
The application was filed by his solicitor Messrs Shafee & Co on Monday. - The Vibes, April 3, 2024

FORMER Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak has filed a judicial review application to the High Court to allow him to serve his remaining jail term under house arrest.

Najib is seeking a copy of a purported  “supplementary order” from the previous Yang diPertuan Agong dated Jan 29, 2024.

If the order existed, it would have compelled the government to release him from the Kajang Prison to his known residence in Kuala Lumpur. 

Najib claimed Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah issued the order during a meeting of the board, for the former to serve the remainder of his reduced sentence under house arrest.

The application was filed by his solicitor Messrs Shafee & Co on Monday.

The former premier claimed that the supplementary order or Addendum Order was omitted when his partial pardon was announced on February 2.

Najib claimed he received confirmation on Feb 12 that the Addendum Order was issued.

On Feb 2, the Pardons Board said the former prime minister's prison sentence and fine had been reduced.

This means that Najib will be released on August 23, 2028, which is much earlier than what was set before.

The Pardons Board also decided at its meeting on January 29 to cut the fine imposed on him from RM210 million to RM50 million.

If the fine is not paid, one year will be added to his remaining time in jail, which means that he will then be released on August 23, 2029.

Najib filed his first application for a royal pardon on Sept 2, 2022, after starting his jail sentence on Aug 23 in Kajang prison. - The Vibes, April 3, 2024

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Najib raises objections to 80% of ex-1MDB CEO’s witness statement over hearsay

Malaysia / 1w

US$620 million returned, not to Najib's account - Angela

Malaysia / 2w

Shafee seeks to strike out parts of Tony Pua's statement

Malaysia / 2w

Najib must be held accountable for 1MDB's US$5.6 billion loss -  lawyer

Opinion / 2w

An open letter to voters of Negeri Sembilan

Malaysia / 3w

Documents for review of Penang lease payments ready, says Kedah MB

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Govt open to study integrating GST, SST

Malaysia

Death of Rocky: Individual expected to be charged tomorrow

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Genting Highlands goldsmith robbed in two minutes, jewellery worth nearly RM1.7m stolen

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Tanker driver claims trial over deaths of mother and 12-year-old son in Temerloh crash

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

If it's BN-PH, I won't contest the Melaka state election – Dr Akmal

Malaysia

BN remains committed with unity government till end of term

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT