SEVERAL of the 36 Bangladeshi nationals arrested over alleged involvement in a radical militant movement linked to Islamic State (IS) ideology are being held under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012 (SOSMA), the Inspector-General of Police has confirmed.
Datuk Seri Mohd Khalid Ismail said others among the group remain in custody pending further investigations, while some have already been deported.
“Insya Allah, tomorrow or the day after, I will hold a press conference to explain the actual situation,” he told reporters during a ceremony marking the handover of duties between senior officers at Bukit Aman.
The event saw Datuk Seri Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain formally relinquish his post as Criminal Investigation Department (CID) director following his transfer to the Malaysian Border Control and Protection Agency (AKPS). He was succeeded by CID deputy director (Intelligence/Operations) DCP Datuk Fadil Marsus, who will serve as acting director effective tomorrow.
The arrests were made during a three-phase counterterrorism operation conducted in Selangor and Johor, which began on 24 April.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail confirmed the detentions earlier this week, stating that all suspects were Bangladeshi nationals and that no Malaysians were involved in the network.
He said the Royal Malaysia Police's Special Branch had uncovered the militant cell, which was actively promoting extremist narratives rooted in Islamic State ideology.
Authorities have not disclosed the group’s full operational scope or links beyond Malaysia, but investigations are ongoing.
The arrests mark one of the most significant recent counterterrorism operations targeting foreign militant elements within Malaysia, underscoring heightened security measures and continued regional vigilance against radical ideologies. - June 30, 2025