Malaysia

Tugboat’s Iranian crew to be held in lock-up, repatriated

Two ill men on vessel that illegally entered Malaysian waters now recovered, Covid-19 test results of ship’s crew all negative

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 24 Dec 2020 7:00AM

Tugboat’s Iranian crew to be held in lock-up, repatriated
All three crew members of the MV Fire Man Zanzibar will be held in police lock-up in Seberang Prai before being handed over to the Immigration Department. – File pic, December 24, 2020

by A. Azim Idris

PUTRAJAYA – Police will detain the three Iranian crew members of the foreign tugboat that had docked undetected at Penang Port’s container terminal in Butterworth, before they are repatriated to their home country.

An internal communique sighted by The Vibes said all three crew members will be held in the Seberang Prai district police headquarters’ lock-up before being handed over to the Immigration Department.

“The Immigration Department will correspond with the Iranian embassy to arrange their return home,” read the communique, which was shared by a source.

It is understood that government divisions and enforcement agencies, comprising representatives from the police, National Security Council, Customs Department, Immigration Department, and port authorities, among others, held a meeting at the Prai Bulk Cargo Terminal yesterday evening to discuss the course of action on the matter.

The Marine Department had earlier launched a probe to investigate how the boat and crew sailed illegally into Malaysian waters, docking at the North Butterworth Container Terminal (NBCT) without approval from the port authorities.

Officials said the breach had raised alarms on the national security front and authorities are looking to revise standard operating procedures to prevent a repeat of the incident.

The MV Fire Man Zanzibar, a firefighting boat, had berthed illegally at NBCT on December 11. 

The vessel was forced to trespass into Malaysian waters because the crew had run out of fuel and some sailors were sick, and were without food or money.

Two crewmen who needed immediate medical attention were sent to Seberang Jaya Hospital for treatment.

“The two crewmen who were reportedly sick have fully recovered, and Covid-19 test results on the ship’s crew were negative,” the communique said.

It also said that although the boat was registered in Zanzibar, Tanzania, the Marine Department found its provisional certificate of registry to be fake.

“Therefore, the vessel will not be allowed to sail away from the port as it did not meet conditions. The vessel will be quarantined at the Prai Bulk Cargo Terminal for investigations.”

The authorities added it did not find any contraband on the ship upon inspection.

“The security screening report by Bukit Aman on the three crew members is still under investigation and will take time as the matter involves Iranian citizens.”

From discussions yesterday, the authorities also said the NBCT management needed to file a police report on the matter, while the police’s Special Branch will investigate the background of the crew further.

The ship will also be supervised by the Prai Bulk Cargo Terminal, while the Marine Department will contact its owner to return the boat.

“If there are no claims in the span of a year, the Marine Department will declare the boat wreckage before conducting the process of disposal,” it said. – The Vibes, December 24, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3h

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale

Tech / 22h

Penang in need of financial centre to boost electrical and electronics sectors - CM

Places / 3d

Penang set to be named first smart city in the country

Malaysia / 5d

Sumatra earthquake felt in Penang, no damage reported

Events / 6d

Penang records another major healthcare-related FDI

Opinion / 1w

The alchemy of staying

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Man, woman claim trial to animal cruelty against dog named Rocky (Updated)

Malaysia

Immigration “Black Maria” lorry driver suspended after crash kills father, 2 daughters in KL

Malaysia

Pahang hospitals test drones to deliver blood samples

Malaysia

Wife of Pantai Jerejak ADUN urges court to drop case against husband

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Jana Wibawa witness: Muhyiddin never asked for RM1m Bersatu donation

Malaysia

Just accept the court decision – Ramkarpal tells Sanusi

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Student involved in bullying case remanded, released on bail

Malaysia

Indian NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir