Malaysia

Include civil society in emergency independent panel, urges watchdog

Panel must have powers to review abuse of democracy and human rights, says Society for the Promotion of Human Rights

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Jan 2021 5:00PM

Include civil society in emergency independent panel, urges watchdog
The Society for the Promotion of Human Rights calls for the enlargement of the terms of reference of the government's new independent panel to include the authority to review any abuse of powers during the state of emergency implemented by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin’s government. – File pic, January 12, 2021

by A. Azim Idris

KUALA LUMPUR – Civil society members must be appointed to the government's new independent panel to oversee the state of emergency implemented by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin’s government yesterday, said a human rights watchdog.

The Society for the Promotion of Human Rights (Proham) also called for the enlargement of the terms of reference of the panel to include the authority to review any abuse of powers and curtailment of democratic and human rights.

The group said there is a need for “multi-stakeholder” involvement during this period.

Proham said this today in a statement jointly signed by its chairman Tan Sri Michael Yeoh, deputy chair Prof Datuk Denison Jayasooria, secretary-general Khoo Ying Hoor, and executive council member Datuk Kuthubul Zaman.

During a televised announcement on the emergency’s implementation yesterday, Muhyiddin said the government will set up an independent committee made up of health experts and bipartisan lawmakers to advise the Yang di-Pertuan Agong on the matter. 

Among other roles the committee is tasked on is deliberating on the duration of the emergency order.

The move yesterday was criticised by those from both sides of the political divide, including the Pakatan Harapan presidential council led by PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, Amanah president Mohamad Sabu, and DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng.

The three voiced their concern that Muhyiddin, who is Bersatu president, would have absolute powers with the emergency in place to act arbitrarily.

However, Muhyiddin had earlier insisted that the emergency is needed to combat Covid-19 and that the decision to hold an election could come as soon as the outbreak situation has considerably improved.

Proham also called for the safeguarding of democratic and human rights over the next six months with an increased role for the Human Rights Commission to be able to receive complaints and investigate any human rights violations that might arise with the suspension of Parliament.

Proham also urged the government to provide details on the independent panel that reviews the state of emergency, which should comprise parliamentarians based on the current political representation.

It also called for parliamentary activities to continue, including those involving the All-Party Parliamentary Group Malaysia and the work of select committees.

The group said it was “shocked” by the emergency declaration, which lasts until August 2021.

“While Proham recognises the grave Covid-19 situation we are facing and the need for drastic steps such as the MCO, however, we have grave concerns over the suspension of Parliament, which in many ways is a suppression of fundamental democratic rights and the mechanism for check and balance in a democratic society,” said Proham.

‘While a number of countries have also declared a state of emergency, they have put in place adequate checks and balances. We, therefore, propose that within this six-month period, an alternative mechanism for the protection of fundamental liberties must be enhanced.” – The Vibes, January 12, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

Bersatu president makes a U-turn on decision

Malaysia / 2y

Muhyiddin won’t defend Bersatu top post

Malaysia / 2y

Court fixes Feb 28, 29 for appeal hearing against Muhyiddin’s acquittal

Malaysia / 2y

Muhyiddin deems voting for Pakatan in Pulai by-election ‘haram’

Malaysia / 3y

Muhyiddin to announce PN candidates for Pulai, Simpang Jeram next week

Malaysia / 3y

MACC looking for two men, including Muhyiddin’s son-in-law

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

Malaysia

Immigration “Black Maria” lorry driver suspended after crash kills father, 2 daughters in KL

Malaysia

Rockys death: No gatherings as Shah, Roghini arrive at Klang court

Malaysia

White House accuses Malaysia, Indonesia of helping China evade US tariffs

Malaysia

Sarawak puts harmony with nature at heart of tourism pitch to global travel industry

Malaysia

Sarawak haze shuts 591 schools across 10 districts

Malaysia

Student involved in bullying case remanded, released on bail

Malaysia

Two cyclists killed after car swerves into them on Putrajaya road