Malaysia

Penang axes dangdut concert scheduled close to Maulidur Rasul

This follows flak from PAS, Umno over event at Kepala Batas’ Dewan Millenium

Updated 2 years ago · Published on 24 Aug 2023 10:47AM

Penang axes dangdut concert scheduled close to Maulidur Rasul
In a statement posted on social media, Datuk Mohamad Abdul Hamid has said that the Penang government has taken note of the criticism and has asked Seberang Prai City Council to withdraw approval for the concert. – Mohamad Abdul Hamid Facebook pic, August 24, 2023

by Ian McIntyre

KEPALA BATAS – The Penang authorities have decided to cancel a TikTok-initiated dangdut-themed concert at Dewan Millenium here next month following criticism by both PAS and Umno, as it is scheduled close to the Maulidur Rasul (Prophet Muhammad’s birthday) occasion.

In a statement posted on social media, newly minted Deputy Chief Minister I Datuk Mohamad Abdul Hamid said that the state has taken note of the criticism and has asked Seberang Prai City Council to withdraw approval for the concert.

However, he also noted that the organiser has now sought to relocate the venue from Dewan Millenium in Kepala Batas to the bigger venue of the Batu Kawan Stadium.

The organiser apparently is also willing to accommodate more terms and conditions before the event is held on September 30, he said.

He did not disclose if the state will approve the relocation proposal by the organiser.

Mohamad merely mentioned that the holding of the event in the originally planned venue received protests from residents. It is deemed inappropriate because it did not take into account the sensitivities of Muslims, especially since they are due to celebrate the Maulidur Rasul event two days earlier.

“Residents in the area have submitted an official protest to the Lord Mayor of Prai (Datuk Azhar Arshad) so the council will need to study the matter,” said Mohamad.

Among those who registered a protest over the concert was Umno’s Bertam assemblyman Datuk Seri Reezal Merican Naina Merican after having received complaints from local residents.

In the state election earlier this month, Reezal had won Bertam for Barisan Nasional (BN). The other two state constituencies in Kepala Batas – Penaga and Pinang Tunggal – were won by PAS candidates on behalf of Perikatan Nasional (PN).

Umno, which leads BN, is part of the federal unity government with Pakatan Harapan, which is led by PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

Mohamed is a representative of PKR in the newly sworn in Penang government.

A poster which has gone viral where PAS calls for the cancellation of the dangdut concert. – Social media pic, August 24, 2023
A poster which has gone viral where PAS calls for the cancellation of the dangdut concert. – Social media pic, August 24, 2023

The concert is set to feature a combination of Malaysian and Indonesian dangdut artistes, and it was mooted by TikTok, which counts the Malay community as among its large subscriber base.

Kepala Batas MP Siti Mastura Muhammad has also taken to TikTok to voice her displeasure over the concert.

PAS Youth in Kepala Batas protested with its chief Mohd Farid Hamdi Mohd Redzuan, urging the local authority to withdraw the licence to host the concert .

The wing has invited residents and non-governmental organisations to protest if the event proceeds.

Meanwhile, PKR’s former Kebun Bunga assemblyman Jason Ong expressed surprise how a concert can be banned in a progressive state like Penang.

“If the concert organiser had agreed to ensure that the sensitivities of the local residents are safeguarded then I do not see why it needs to be scrapped. The question we need to ask is whether we are going forward or backwards as a state and nation,” said Ong in an interview.

For the past 60 years, such events were not seen as an affront but now they have, so the local authorities need to ponder over this closely, said Ong.

He also asked if hosting a concert erodes the moral fabric and culture of a community.

Previously, even PAS had allowed concerts to be hosted in Kelantan, the bedrock of its political base, said Ong. – The Vibes, August 24, 2023

Related News

Places / 1d

Penang set to be named first smart city in the country

Malaysia / 4d

Sumatra earthquake felt in Penang, no damage reported

Events / 4d

Penang records another major healthcare-related FDI

Opinion / 5d

The alchemy of staying

Malaysia / 6d

To leave or to stay? Penang and Kedah DAP remain undecided

Malaysia / 1w

Kedah may delay Penang lease claim documents till change of federal government

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

SSM’s new corporate system clears 70,000 transactions as authorities tackle early disruptions

Malaysia

Sabah youths urged to see agriculture as modern career and business opportunity - Masidi

Malaysia

Govt reviews RM1,700 minimum wage, with possible increase under new wage formula

Malaysia

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia

Fifth MADANI budget to reinforce resilience, lift wages and protect households

Malaysia

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Attempt to smuggle methamphetamine worth RM12.26m into Malaysia foiled

Malaysia

S'pore driver involved in altercation with Malaysian policeman near Woodlands Checkpoint