Business

Half of Swiss hotels, restaurants risk bankruptcy: employer group

Poll of some 4,000 restaurants and hotels shows 98% of them are in urgent need of financial support

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 10 Jan 2021 9:35PM

Half of Swiss hotels, restaurants risk bankruptcy: employer group
USAM, a union that represents small and medium-sized businesses in Switzerland, called today for the government not to prolong or tighten measures, saying it was an 'existential question' for many of its members – Pixabay pic, January 10, 2021

GENEVA – Nearly half of Switzerland’s restaurants and hotels risk bankruptcy within months failing financial support to weather devastating Covid-19 measures, the sector’s employer group warned today.

The Swiss government is expected this week to extend the closure of bars, restaurants and leisure facilities across the country until the end of February to control stubbornly high coronavirus case and death numbers.

But industry federation GastroSuisse warned in a statement that if done without providing significant financial support, around half of businesses in the restaurant and hospitality sector could go belly-up by the end of March.

The group polled around 4,000 restaurant and hotel owners, and determined that 98% of them already are in urgent need of financial support.

"The very existence of many of them is threatened," GastroSuisse president Casimir Platzer said in the statement.

While restaurants and other businesses quickly received financial support when Switzerland went into partial lockdown during the initial wave of infections, GastroSuisse has complained that support during subsequent sporadic closures has lagged.

Before the crisis, more than 80% of Swiss restaurants and hotels were in a good or very good position of liquidity, the study showed.

But that situation quickly deteriorated.

In October, as a second wave of infections picked up steam, the organisation cautioned that 100,000 jobs were at risk.

And during the final two months of 2020, nearly 60% of restaurant and hotel establishments were forced to conduct layoffs for a second time, it said.

Without government intervention, a third wave of layoffs is looming, Platzer warned.

The latest closures were to be lifted on January 22, but the government said last week it wanted to extend the deadline for a further five weeks.

GastroSuisse said the final announcement, due on Wednesday, needed to be accompanied by “immediate and uncomplicated” financial support to the sector to avoid “disaster”.

USAM, a union that represents small and medium-sized businesses in Switzerland, called today for the government not to prolong or tighten measures, warning it was an “existential question” for many of its members.

Switzerland, a country of 8.6 million people, is currently registering around 4,000 Covid-19 cases a day and had by Friday seen nearly 476,000 cases and 7,545 deaths since the start of the pandemic. – AFP, January 10, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1w

LHDN’s uneven hand: Tough on MSMEs, soft on the shadows

Places / 1mth

Four premier hotels in Penang to be restored, open doors soon

Malaysia / 2mth

600 Indian, mamak restaurants, on verge of closure due to lack of workers, claim associations

Opinion / 3mth

The Islamic business revolution in Southern Thailand

Our Planet / 4mth

Ban on single-use plastic bags to take effect in Penang from Sept 1

World / 4mth

Gas shortages push India’s poor back to wood and coal

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit