Business

HK tracker fund stops investing in China firms on US ban list

TraHK also recommended Americans no longer invest in the fund

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Jan 2021 6:15PM

HK tracker fund stops investing in China firms on US ban list
TraHK was set up by Hong Kong's government following the 1998 Asian financial crash and is the city's biggest exchange traded fund. – Pixabay pic, January 11, 2021

HONG KONG – Hong Kong's original stock market tracker said today it would make no new investments in firms listed by Washington as having links to China's military as it also recommended Americans no longer invest in the fund.

The announcement is the latest stark illustration of how tensions between the world's two biggest economies are causing headaches for international firms here, which has long served as China's gateway to global markets.

Outgoing US President Donald Trump issued an order in November banning Americans from investing in Chinese firms deemed to be supplying or supporting the Asian giant's military.

Today, the Tracker Fund of Hong Kong (TraHK) – which has some US$14 billion (RM56 billion) in assets – said it is complying with that order.

"In light of the executive order, TraHK will not make any new investments in a sanctioned entity with effect from January 11, 2021," the company wrote in a statement to the stock exchange. 

"TraHK is no longer appropriate for US persons to invest. You should consider whether this is an appropriate investment for you," it added.

Today, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and JPMorgan Chase also said they would delist some 500 structured products here to comply with the same executive order.

TraHK was set up by Hong Kong's government following the 1998 Asian financial crash and is the city's biggest exchange traded fund.

It is run by the Asian arm of State Street Global Advisors, a massive US asset management firm.

Investors and businesses have been scrambling to respond to Trump's often vaguely worded executive orders targeting China.

Last week, the New York Stock Exchange confirmed, after a dizzying few days of reversals and confusion, that it was delisting three state-owned Chinese telecom giants.

Trump also signed an executive order banning transactions involving Alipay, WeChat Pay and other apps linked to Chinese companies, drawing strong criticism from Beijing.

Over the weekend, China published new rules to protect its firms from "unjustified" foreign laws that will allow Chinese courts to punish global companies for complying with foreign restrictions and sanctions.

Hong Kong-based firms are finding themselves acutely vulnerable to the crossfire of these spiralling tensions and competing restrictions.

Last year, the US imposed sanctions on multiple Chinese and Hong Kong officials over Beijing's crackdown on democracy supporters in the city.

The restrictions bar financial institutions from doing any transactions with the sanctioned individuals. 

At the same time, Beijing has imposed a sweeping national security law on Hong Kong which, among its many provisions, outlaws any firms complying with any a foreign sanctions regime.

The dichotomy has left international businesses fearful of being punished by either side. – AFP, January 11, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 3d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 3d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Events / 5d

Over 700 students from over 20 countries gather in Hong Kong summit

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir