Business

Uber and Lyft drivers challenge California ‘gig worker’ ballot

Suit argues measure is invalid because it usurps power of state courts, legislators on worker rights and compensation

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Jan 2021 9:10PM

Uber and Lyft drivers challenge California ‘gig worker’ ballot
App-based drivers from Uber and Lyft protest in a caravan in front of City Hall in Los Angeles on October 22, 2020 where elected leaders hold a conference urging voters to reject on the November 3 election, Proposition 22, that would classify app-based drivers as independent contractors and not employees or agents – AFP pic, January 13, 2021 

SAN FRANCISCO – Drivers for ride-share and meal delivery apps filed a suit Tuesday to nullify a referendum passed by California voters that lets such “gig workers” be treated as contractors.

Labor legislation known as Proposition 22 – passed in November and heavily backed by Uber, Lyft and other app-based, on-demand delivery services – effectively overturned a state law requiring them to reclassify their drivers and provide employee benefits.

The suit argued the measure is invalid because it usurps the power of state courts and legislators when it comes to worker rights and compensation.

The suit was filed directly to the top court in the state by a few drivers and the Service Employees International Union.

“The measure grossly deceived the voters, who were not told they were voting to prevent the Legislature from granting the drivers collective bargaining rights,” the suit argued.

The suit went on to argue that the initiative also precluded the state legislature “from providing incentives for companies to give app-based drivers more than the minimal wages and benefits provided by Proposition 22.”

Defendants in the litigation were the state of California and its commissioner of labour.

The November vote came after a contentious campaign with labour groups claiming the initiative would erode worker rights and benefits, and with backers arguing for a new, flexible economic model.

The victory for the “gig economy” in California was expected to echo across the US, in a boon for app-based services while igniting fear that big business is rewriting labour laws.

Uber chief executive Dara Khosrowshahi has vowed to “more loudly advocate for new laws like Prop 22.”

More than US$200 million was spent promoting Proposition 22, while only a tenth of that amount was spent by labour groups opposing the measure.

Under the proposition, drivers remain independent contractors but Uber and Lyft are to pay them a number of benefits including a minimum wage, a contribution to healthcare and other forms of insurance. Critics of the measure said it failed to take into account the full costs borne by drivers.

Uber and Lyft claimed most drivers support the contractor model.

But the firms had been sued by the state which argued keeping that model violated California labour law. A Proposition 22 victory renders the court case effectively moot. – AFP, January 13, 2021 

Related News

Malaysia / 1y

Labour law reforms take effect in Sabah amid concerns from employers and workers

Malaysia / 1y

Sarawak labour law amendments take effect today, on par with peninsula states

Malaysia / 1y

DAP fought for amendment of Sarawak labour laws, claims youth secretary

Business / 2y

Gig economy: the future of work is here and it's flexible

Malaysia / 2y

Exploited and unprotected: Life as a gig worker

Business / 3y

Operators won’t budge: Socso on obstacles in gig workers’ social security

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir