Business

Telenor stops listing Myanmar internet outages 

Company says list will not be updated over concerns for employee safety

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 16 Feb 2021 8:45PM

Telenor stops listing Myanmar internet outages 
Telenor has been active in Myanmar since 2014 and last year employed 747 people there. – Wikipedia pic, February 16, 2021

OSLO – Norwegian telecom operator Telenor yesterday said that concerns for its employees’ safety had stopped it listing forced Internet outages in Myanmar following the February 1 military coup.

While the junta has repeatedly forced internet providers to shut down or restrict access since seizing power, Telenor attempted transparency by listing the ordered outages on its website.

But it posted on Sunday that “it is currently not possible for Telenor to disclose the directives we receive from the authorities” in Myanmar, adding that “we deeply regret that the list on this site will no longer be updated”.

Spokesman Hanne Langeland Knudsen said yesterday that “our overall judgement of the situation now means that we can’t communicate about the directives”, saying that the situation in Myanmar is “confused and unclear” and that “our employees’ security has had top priority from the start”.

Telenor has been active in Myanmar since 2014 and last year employed 747 people there.

At present, telecoms services are heavily disrupted, with UK-based monitoring group NetBlocks tweeting yesterday evening that the country was under a “near-total internet shutdown” for the second night in a row.

Repeated internet blackouts have not prevented thousands of people taking to the streets in Myanmar’s major cities and far-flung villages alike, although the generals yesterday deployed extra troops as their crackdown intensified. – AFP, February 16, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3mth

Malaysia’s missile deal collapse exposes hidden risks in global arms trade

Opinion / 3mth

Norway harshly cancels NSM missile supply contract to Malaysia

Malaysia / 3mth

Japanese murder suspect changes identity, disguises himself as a Myanmar national to enter Malaysia

Heritage / 6mth

DRIG calls for erection of monument in memory of those who perished

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert