Business

French hotel giant Accor plunges into red on virus hit

Hotel giant says sales down some 60% at €1.6 billion, leading to net loss of just under €2 billion

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 24 Feb 2021 9:00PM

French hotel giant Accor plunges into red on virus hit
Accor, which runs hotel chains such as Ibis, Sofitel, Novotel, Mercure and Pullman, says revenue per room collapsed by 62% for full year 2020 and was down more than 88% in the second quarter at the height of the first wave. – Twitter pic, February 24, 2021 

PARIS – French hotel giant Accor said today it plunged into the red last year as the coronavirus pandemic devastated the hotel and hospitality business worldwide.

Ranked number six globally, Accor reported sales down some 60% at €1.6 billion (RM7.88 billion), producing a net loss of just under €2 billion.

Analysts surveyed by Factset and Bloomberg had expected revenues of €1.85 billion and a net loss of €1.26 billion.

The company, which runs chains such as Ibis, Sofitel, Novotel, Mercure and Pullman, has seen its business devastated by the pandemic which has brought international travel and the hospitality and tourism sectors to a virtual halt.

Revenue per room collapsed by 62% for full year 2020 and was down more than 88% in the second quarter at the height of the first wave.

“This unprecedented fall reflects the global deterioration in the business environment caused by lockdowns and the closing of international borders in an effort to curb the pandemic,” Accor said in a statement.

Accor noted that after the pandemic battered results in the second quarter of the year, there was a noticeable pick-up in the third quarter in all regions as economies re-opened over the summer holidays.

This recovery however then came to a halt as governments re-introduced restrictions to cope with a fresh upsurge of coronavirus cases.

Accor said it hoped for better times this year as vaccination programmes allow an easing of restrictions, although “caution unfortunately remains the watchword” given uncertainties about how the pandemic will develop. – AFP, February 24, 2021

Related News

Places / 1mth

Four premier hotels in Penang to be restored, open doors soon

Opinion / 3mth

The Islamic business revolution in Southern Thailand

Our Planet / 4mth

Ban on single-use plastic bags to take effect in Penang from Sept 1

Trending / 5mth

MAH: 23-hour stay policy for hotels not practical

Diary / 8mth

Penang MAH worries over too many hotels and too little guests next year

Our Planet / 9mth

Green activist urges hotels to adopt Asean Green Ratings

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert