Business

Netflix to invest US$500 mil in South Korea this year

US firm has spent some US$700 million in the country since its debut in 2015

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Feb 2021 5:30PM

Netflix to invest US$500 mil in South Korea this year
Netflix has been making efforts to cement its solid position in the Korean and Asian streaming market in the face of fiercer competition this year. – www.neftflix.com pic, February 25, 2021

SEOUL – Global streaming service Netflix said today that it will funnel US$500 million (RM2.01 billion) into creating South Korean projects this year, including two films, Yonhap news agency reported.

“Netflix has more than 200 million paid users across the world, including 2.8 million in South Korea,” Kim Min-young, vice president of Netflix, said in an event streamed online. 

“For 2021, we will invest US$500 million into Korean content and help the entire world enjoy Korean shows.”

Since its South Korean market debut in 2015, the United States entertainment giant has spent some US$700 million on South Korean projects and made about 80 Korean originals, including the historical zombie thriller “Kingdom”and the horror series “Sweet Home.”

As Netflix has enjoyed success in the country on the back of its hit Korean titles, it has set up two filming studios in cities just north of Seoul as part of its strategy to expand original content production.

Moreover, Netflix said it will start producing Korean original films in South Korea for the first time since its entry into the country in 2015. Its 2017 original film, Bong Joon-ho’s adventure “Okja,” was produced in the United States.

They are the action film “Carter,” directed by Jung Byung-gil, and the webtoon-based romance “Moral Sense” by Park Hyun-jin. But it did not elaborate on details of release schedules and the cast of the cited films.

The company has focused more on Korean TV series so far and just bought the distribution rights of five Korean films, including “Time To Hunt,” “Call” and “Space Sweepers,” to release them on its platform without theatrical runs.

The move came as Netflix has been making efforts to cement its solid position in the Korean and Asian streaming market in the face of fiercer competition this year.

Walt Disney Co announced its plans to launch its flagship streaming service Disney+ in South Korea, while homegrown streamers like Wavve and Tving are moving to splurge on original content. – Bernama, February 25, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

Network School postpones new investments in Malaysia, seeks government guarantee

Film / 1mth

Netflix film with Mark Wahlberg a major boost to Penang’s international profile

Malaysia / 3mth

Miri man loses over RM257k in online investment scam

Malaysia / 5mth

Google investment expected to generate US$3.2 billion, 26,500 jobs

Malaysia / 6mth

Private sector worker loses over RM600k after being duped into non-existent investment

Business / 6mth

Chipbond Technology opens new Penang facility

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert