Business

Philippine Airlines to slash 7,000 jobs

'The collapse in travel demand have made retrenchment inevitable'

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 06 Oct 2020 12:13PM

Philippine Airlines to slash 7,000 jobs
This file photo taken on April 19, 2020 shows passenger planes from carrier Philippine Airlines parked on the tarmac of Manila's international airport as air travel to and from the Philippines was suspended. – AFP pic, October 6, 2020

MANILA – Philippine Airlines will cut around a third of its workforce by the end of this year as part of an overhaul triggered by crippling coronavirus travel restrictions.  

The pandemic has devastated the global aviation industry, forcing airlines to seek government bailouts, furlough workers and slash jobs.

"The collapse in travel demand and persistent travel restrictions on most global and domestic routes have made retrenchment inevitable," the airline said yesteray, announcing the loss of up to 35% of its more than 7,000 employees through voluntary resignations and forced layoffs.

"The retrenchment is part of a larger restructuring and recovery plan as the flag carrier rebuilds its... network amid the global pandemic."

Commercial flights were grounded for more than two months during the country's lockdown, which sent the economy into recession and left millions out of work. 

Philippine Airlines said it was operating less than 15% of its normal number of daily flights after eight months of restrictions.

PAL Holdings, the listed parent of the airline, sank deeper into the red in the first half with a net loss of 20.75 billion pesos (RM1.780 billion). That compared with a 2.98 billion peso net loss in the same period last year.

The announcement comes as the Philippines takes tentative steps to revive its battered tourism industry by allowing domestic travellers to visit Boracay island, famed for its white sand beaches.

Strict protocols require tourists to test negative for Covid-19 before they can travel to the popular holiday destination.

The Philippines has the highest coronavirus caseload in Southeast Asia, with more than 324,000 confirmed infections, including more than 5,800 deaths. – AFP, October 6, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Flight crew screening system needs to be reviewed, passenger confidence restored - Tiong

World / 2mth

Trump's health: Weighs 108kg, heart age 14 years younger, hands bruised from frequent handshakes – Doctor

Malaysia / 3mth

Government’s RM5.7 billion spending cut a bold move to curb waste, says PKR leader

Malaysia / 3mth

Funding cutbacks may jeopardise public health, education, safety and crime prevention needs – Guan Eng

Opinion / 4mth

One of the keys to winning GE16 is voter turnout

Malaysia / 4mth

MOT intensifies engagement with MAHB, CAAM to support aviation sector

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist