Business

ExxonMobil’s climate strategy an ‘existential’ risk: investor

Hedge fund criticises company’s ‘value destruction’, ‘refusal to accept that fossil fuel demand may decline’

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 26 Apr 2021 7:30PM

ExxonMobil’s climate strategy an ‘existential’ risk: investor
Exxonmobil has been criticised over the last year for both its financial performance and its approach to renewable energy investment. – EPA pic, April 26, 2021

NEW YORK – ExxonMobil’s strategy in the face of climate change poses an “existential business risk” to the company, according to an activist hedge fund that is a shareholder in the oil giant, a report in the Financial Times said yesterday.

The company, which has been criticised over the last year for both its financial performance and its approach to renewable energy investment, “has no credible plan to protect value in an energy transition”, hedge fund Engine No. 1 said in an 80-page investor presentation.

ExxonMobil has said its business would focus on carbon capture and storage technology as a means to counter the emissions that cause global warming. 

However, it also plans to continue pumping oil and expects to spend US$20 to US$25 billion (RM82 to RM102 billion) per year between 2022 and 2025 to fuel its growth, mainly through new oil and gas exploration projects.

In the document, which will be distributed to other shareholders, the hedge fund criticised ExxonMobil’s “value destruction” and “refusal to accept that fossil fuel demand may decline”, according to the Financial Times.

Engine No. 1 is campaigning for the oil company to consider alternative energy more seriously.

The document also claims that Exxon’s total emissions, including those from the products it sells, will increase by 2025.

World leaders came together virtually this week at the request of US President Joe Biden for a 40-leader climate summit.

Biden doubled US targets to slash greenhouse gas emissions responsible for climate change by 2030, with Japan and Canada also raising commitments and the European Union and Britain locking in forceful targets earlier in the week.

The US oil giant, which lost US$22 billion last year amid collapsing oil prices, is due to report its first-quarter results on Friday. – AFP, April 26, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

New Malaysia-Thailand border crossing: Businesses will not be affected, says tourism authority

Malaysia / 2mth

Cases of foreigners marrying locals for business licenses in Selangor getting serious

Trending / 4mth

Langkawi ferry to go out of business if trips are not reduced

Business / 6mth

EPF buys over 40 million Sunway Berhad shares

Events / 6mth

MoU inked for greater climate resilience

Malaysia / 6mth

Penang: DID to conduct comprehensive review of beach erosion

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns