Business

Talks underway to sell 1% of Saudi Aramco to foreign firm: prince

Kingdom’s de facto ruler, however, keeps mum on name of the firm party to talks

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 28 Apr 2021 9:00AM

Talks underway to sell 1% of Saudi Aramco to foreign firm: prince
In the world’s biggest initial public offering, Aramco sold some of its shares on the Saudi bourse in December 2019, and the oil giant is studying another offering over the next two years. – EPA pic, April 28, 2021

RIYADH – Saudi Arabia is in talks to sell 1% of oil giant Aramco to a foreign energy firm, the kingdom’s crown prince said in a television interview broadcast yesterday.

“There is a discussion on the acquisition of 1% (of Aramco) by one of the world’s leading energy companies, and this will be a very important deal to boost Aramco’s sales in that country,” Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said.

The prince did not name the company, but said it was based in a very large country.

Aramco previously sold a sliver of its shares on the Saudi bourse in December 2019, generating US$29.4 billion (RM120.47 billion) in the world’s biggest initial public offering.

The energy giant could announce another offering of shares to international investors within the next year or two, the prince said.

The announcements underscore how Saudi Arabia is seeking to monetise its energy assets to generate revenue for an ambitious effort to diversify the oil-reliant economy.

Earlier this month, Aramco said it had struck a US$12.4 billion deal to sell a minority stake in a newly formed oil pipeline business to a consortium led by US-based EIG Global Energy Partners.

Aramco is exploring new revenue streams as it faces pressure to maintain hefty dividend payments to the Saudi government, its biggest shareholder, despite posting consecutive falls in profits since it began disclosing earnings in 2019.

Last month, Aramco posted a 44.4% slump in 2020 net profit, piling pressure on government finances as Riyadh pursues its multi-billion dollar projects to diversify the economy.

The company’s debt has climbed as Saudi Arabia, the world’s biggest crude exporter, was hammered last year by the double whammy of low prices and sharp cuts in production triggered by the coronavirus pandemic.

Long seen as the kingdom’s “crown jewel”, Aramco and its assets were once tightly under government control and considered off-limits to outside investment.

But with the rise of de facto ruler Prince Mohammed, who is pushing to implement his ambitious “Vision 2030” programme, the kingdom has shown readiness to diversify.

This month, the kingdom marks five years since the programme was unveiled by the prince. – AFP, April 28, 2021

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns