Business

Saudi Aramco Q1 profits jump 30% on higher oil prices

It records US$21.7 billion net income amid kingdom’s move to monetise energy assets to generate revenue

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 04 May 2021 11:59PM

Saudi Aramco Q1 profits jump 30% on higher oil prices
Aramco has struck a US$12.4 billion deal to sell a minority stake in a newly formed oil pipeline business to a consortium led by US-based EIG Global Energy Partners. – EPA pic, May 4, 2021

RIYADH – Energy giant Saudi Aramco today said its first quarter profits jumped 30% compared with the same period last year on the back of higher oil prices.

“Aramco’s net income was US$21.7 billion (RM89.3 billion) for the first quarter, a 30% increase from US$16.7 billion in Q1 2020, primarily driven by a stronger oil market and higher refining and chemicals margins, partly offset by lower production,” said the company in a statement.

The news follows consecutive falls in quarterly profits last year owing to low oil prices and production cuts as the coronavirus pandemic sapped global energy demand.

“The momentum provided by the global economic recovery has strengthened energy markets, Aramco’s operational flexibility, financial agility and the resilience of our employees have contributed to a strong first quarter performance,” said Aramco chief executive Amin Nasser.

Saudi Arabia is currently seeking to monetise its energy assets to generate revenue for an ambitious effort to diversify its oil-reliant economy.

Last month, Aramco said it had struck a US$12.4 billion deal to sell a minority stake in a newly formed oil pipeline business to a consortium led by United States-based EIG Global Energy Partners.

In late April, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said Saudi Arabia, the top crude exporter, was in talks to sell 1% of Aramco to an unnamed foreign energy firm.

Aramco is exploring new revenue streams as it faces pressure to maintain hefty dividend payments to the Saudi government, its biggest shareholder, since it began disclosing earnings in 2019.

Aramco previously sold a sliver of its shares on the Saudi bourse in December 2019, generating US$29.4 billion in the world’s biggest initial public offering.

The prince said the energy giant could announce another offering of shares to international investors within the next year or two. – AFP, May 4, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1mth

Modernity beyond the West? What Saudi Arabia is really testing

World / 1mth

Saudi Aramco helicopter crash kills 14 nationals (video)

Business / 2mth

Time for banks to step up and do their part, stresses former finance minister

Malaysia / 6mth

'I personally heard King Abdullah promise donations to Najib' - Jamil Khir

Malaysia / 7mth

Nadia Kesuma was found to have left Saudi Arabia

Malaysia / 9mth

Penang: Over a hundred PPR residents face possible eviction

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns