Business

Virus sends Ryanair into €1 bil annual loss

CEO warns fares will climb next year as capacity remains capped by restrictions

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 17 May 2021 11:59PM

Virus sends Ryanair into €1 bil annual loss
Ryanair’s passenger traffic dived 81% to €27.5 million in its last financial year. AFP pic, May 17, 2021

LONDON – Ryanair posted an annual net loss of €1.0 billion (RM5 billion) today as the coronavirus pandemic grounded the global aviation sector but the Irish no-frills airlines said a recovery has already begun.

Ryanair described the year as “the most challenging” in its 35-year history.

The earnings for 12 months to the end of March compared with profit after tax totalling €649 million in 2019-2020, the European heavyweight said in a statement.

But with the UK – the company’s key market – partially lifting international air travel today, Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary told the BBC that the company is “very optimistic for the next couple of months”.

This after the carrier’s passenger traffic dived 81% to €27.5 million in its last financial year.

‘Fares will climb’ 

O’Leary warned that fares would climb next year as capacity remains capped by restrictions.

“There’s no doubt in my mind that prices will rise, particularly during the peaks of the... (national) holiday weekends, the school holiday travel period, but that won’t affect bookings for summer 2021,” he told the BBC.

The Dublin-based carrier said it expects to benefit from a strong rebound of pent up travel demand through the second half of 2021, hoping to return to pre-Covid growth in a year’s time.

Ryanair said it was encouraged by the production of multiple Covid-19 vaccines, adding that it hopes their rollouts “will facilitate the resumption of intra-Europe air travel and tourism this summer”. 

It noted that “if, as is presently predicted, most European populations are vaccinated by September”, the sector can look forward to a strong recovery in air travel, jobs and tourism from the end of this year.

“The recent strong increases in weekly bookings since early April suggests that this recovery has already begun,” Ryanair said.

It expects traffic for its current year to be towards the lower end of a previously-forecast 80 million-120 million passenger range.  

Stripping out fluctuations to oil and foreign exchange prices, Ryanair’s annual net loss came in at €815 million.

Annual revenue slumped 81% to €1.64 billion.

“As we look beyond the Covid-19 crisis, and the successful completion of vaccination roll-outs, the Ryanair Group expects to have a much improved cost base and a very strong balance sheet,” the airline said.

UK progress 

O’Leary, meanwhile, described the UK vaccine programme as “extraordinarily successful”.

He told the BBC: “European countries recognise that. They’re beginning to lift restrictions on inbound UK visitors.

“Portugal this morning. We’re very hopeful that Italy and Greece will be added to that green list before the end of May, and Spain will come shortly thereafter.”

The UK has placed 12 countries on its travel green list, including Australia, Israel, New Zealand and Iceland.

The virus outbreak has ravaged the global aviation sector, sparking heavy losses, job cuts, bankruptcies and state rescue plans.

Ryanair had decided to cut 3,000 pilot and cabin crew jobs, or 15% of staff, mirroring moves by airlines globally to save cash in the face of collapsing demand.

The European Commission last week cleared Italy to give €12.8 million in state aid to the floundering Alitalia airline. – AFP, May 17, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 14h

Malaysians urged to rethink travel to southern Thailand after 51 violent incidents

Malaysia / 2w

Flight crew screening system needs to be reviewed, passenger confidence restored - Tiong

Events / 2mth

Arrivia, KrisFlyer deepen partnership with launch of cruise redemptions

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Opinion / 3mth

Improvement in making Hari Raya Haji travel more bearable

Trending / 3mth

Xiaohongshu and Singapore Tourism Board ink MoU to tap changing outbound travel habits

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns