Business

S. Korea court orders seizure of Mitsubishi assets over forced labour

Around 780,000 people conscripted by Japan during the 35-year occupation from 1910 to 1945

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 19 Aug 2021 11:30PM

S. Korea court orders seizure of Mitsubishi assets over forced labour
The Anyang branch of Suwon District Court ordered the seizure of around 850 million won (RM3.06 million) worth of bonds Mitsubishi owns in LS Mtron, a South Korean industrial machinery manufacturer. – Pixabay pic, August 19, 2021

SEOUL – A South Korean court has ordered the seizure of Mitsubishi’s assets in the country over the Japanese industrial giant’s use of forced labour during World War II, reports said today.

Japan and South Korea are both democracies, market economies and United States allies, but their relationship has been strained for decades as a result of Tokyo’s brutal 1910 to 1945 colonial rule over the Korean peninsula.

Around 780,000 Koreans were conscripted into forced labour by Japan during the 35-year occupation, according to data from Seoul, not including women forced into sexual slavery by Japanese troops.

In a landmark ruling in 2018, the Supreme Court ordered Mitsubishi Heavy Industries to pay compensations to a handful of the victims, but the Japanese firm refused to follow the verdict.

And earlier this month, the surviving families of four of the victims asked the court to seize Mitsubishi’s bonds in South Korea, Yonhap news agency reported.

The Anyang branch of Suwon District Court ordered the seizure of around 850 million won (RM3.06 million) worth of bonds the Japanese firm owns in LS Mtron, a South Korean industrial machinery manufacturer, according to the report.

The amount covers around 80 to 150 million won ordered to be provided to each of the victims and covers losses from the delay of payment.

“We request Mitsubishi to admit to the historical fact, and apologise and deliver compensation to the victims,” Yonhap cited the law firm representing the plaintiffs as saying.

“If Mitsubishi continues to refuse to follow court orders, we will collect its bonds from LS Mtron based on the collection order,” it added.

Japan says the victims’ right to sue had been extinguished by the 1965 treaty which saw Seoul and Tokyo restore diplomatic ties and included a reparation package of about $800 million in grants and cheap loans. – AFP, August 19, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 8mth

Perlis Mufti reveals existence of deviant movement from South Korea

Sports & Fitness / 2y

Revive inter-state league to spot new talents, says former team manager

Business / 2y

Sabah to roll out My Second Home programme to woo more talents

Malaysia / 2y

S. Korea could help Asean boost economy, tackle climate change: Anwar

Business / 2y

Work with Korea’s Naver, Fahmi calls on MDEC

World / 2y

S. Korean president, PM enjoy seafood lunch amid Fukushima concern

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir