Business

EasyJet posts first annual loss on virus

Airline suffers a pre-tax loss of £1.27 bil its first in its 25-year history

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 17 Nov 2020 5:30PM

EasyJet posts first annual loss on virus
EasyJet says that it plans to fly no more than 20% of its usual capacity during the first quarter but it retains the flexibility to ramp up rapidly when demand returns. – Pixabay pic, November 17, 2020

LONDON – British no-frills airline EasyJet on Tuesday posted the group's first ever annual pre-tax loss as a result of the devastating impact of the coronavirus pandemic on global air travel.

EasyJet said it suffered a pre-tax loss of £1.27 billion (RM6.89 billion) in its year to the end of September, marking the first loss in its 25-year history.

That compared with a year-earlier pre-tax profit of £430 million, the group added in a results statement.

Passenger numbers halved to 48.1 million as Covid-19 travel restrictions slammed demand and revenues slumping by a similar proportion to stand at £3.0 billion.

The airline, which is based in Luton north of London, flagged last month that it was on course to fly into the red for the first time.

EasyJet added Tuesday that it plans to fly no more than 20% of its usual capacity during the first quarter as part of ongoing winter cutbacks, and gave no outlook guidance due to short-term uncertainty.

“I am immensely proud of the performance of the EasyJet team in facing the challenges of 2020. We responded robustly and decisively, minimising losses, reducing cash burn and launching the largest... restructuring programme in our history – all while raising more than £3.1 billion in liquidity to date,” said chief executive officer Johan Lundgren.

He also cheered “welcome news” on a possible Covid-19 vaccine that could potentially herald a long-term return to normality.

“While we expect to fly no more than 20% of planned capacity for the first quarter of 2021, maintaining our disciplined approach to cash generative flying over the winter, we retain the flexibility to rapidly ramp up when demand returns.

“We know our customers want to fly with us and underlying demand is strong,” continued Lundgren.

“And last week we saw the welcome news about a possible imminent vaccine roll out.”

Lundgren added that the airline was now “well-positioned and expecting to bounce back strongly”.

The carrier grounded its entire fleet on March 30 as Britain went into a lockdown, returning to the skies with only a very limited schedule in the middle of June.

As a result, EasyJet is axing up to 4,500 jobs, or almost one third of its staff, as it seeks to slash costs in order to survive the crisis – mirroring moves by airlines worldwide.

“During the 11-week grounding in spring/summer and the restart, EasyJet took quick and decisive actions to cut operating costs and capital expenditure, to maximise liquidity and to develop processes to manage our return to flying,” said the group.

“EasyJet remains extremely disciplined and since the grounding has focused on flying which generates a positive contribution.

“During the first half of the year Easy Jet delivered strong underlying trading,” it said in Tuesday's statement.  –  AFP, November 17, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Flight crew screening system needs to be reviewed, passenger confidence restored - Tiong

Malaysia / 4mth

MOT intensifies engagement with MAHB, CAAM to support aviation sector

Malaysia / 6mth

Regional think tank visits PM

Malaysia / 10mth

A reminder that life, not things, matter most

World / 1y

Cocaine shipment valued at close to £100m seized at UK port

Malaysia / 1y

MACC freezes over RM750m in London assets linked to Daim's wife

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist