Business

UAE may withdraw from Opec+ 

Abu Dhabi mulls leaving cartel over tensions with Saudi Arabia, and Russia, says report

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 19 Nov 2020 5:30PM

UAE may withdraw from Opec+ 
Relations between Riyadh and Abu Dhabi  escalated since the late summer, when the UAE increased its oil output beyond the Opec+ quota envisaged in the deal, prompting warnings from Saudi Arabia. – Pixabay pic, November 19, 2020

MOSCOW – With tensions running high between the United Arab Emirates and its petroleum allies, Saudi Arabia and Russia, Abu Dhabi considers the idea of leaving the The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (Opec) and Russia (Opec+), the Sputnik news agency reported.

The Bloomberg news agency reported on Thursday, citing its sources, this step was not in line with the UAE’s policy, as the country has stayed away from public conflicts for a long time, preferring to address issues quietly behind closed doors, adding that it was unclear yet whether the warning was “a manoeuvre to force a negotiation over production levels, or represents a genuine policy debate.”

The relations between Riyadh and Abu Dhabi  escalated since the late summer, when the UAE increased its oil output beyond the Opec+ quota envisaged in the deal, prompting warnings from Saudi Arabia. The situation has deteriorated by now in light of the UAE’s rising backlash on the distribution of production targets, which the country’s government considers unfair.

Meanwhile, Bloomberg reported that the UAE officials have not announced in public its intent to withdraw from the organisation. According to the agency, reports on the UAE’s exit from Opec+ have appeared in very challenging circumstances, as any internal disputes may undermine the already fragile oil market against the backdrop of the long-standing coronavirus pandemic that threatens oil demand.

Along with these developments, the UAE Energy Ministry said on Wednesday that it had reached a 126% compliance with the Opec+ oil output cuts deal in October by reducing its production level by 153,000 barrels per day.

Earlier in the week, the Opec+ Joint Ministerial Monitoring Committee discussed the situation in the oil market amid the second wave of the pandemic, as well as the feasibility of increasing the alliance's production from 2021 under prevailing conditions. It made no recommendation, although a day earlier, Opec+ experts recommended that ministers consider maintaining the current production restrictions for the first quarter or for the first half of 2021.

The final decision is expected to be made at the annual Opec+ ministerial meeting, scheduled for December 1. –  Bernama, November 19, 2020

Related News

Education / 1w

Zambry leads Malaysia delegation to Russia for bilateral cooperation talks

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

World / 2w

Why Russia is expanding the Northern Sea Route

Malaysia / 4w

Sabah does not agree to 200-litre diesel quota, forms special committee - Masidi

Opinion / 1mth

Modernity beyond the West? What Saudi Arabia is really testing

Events / 1mth

Former Interpol chief Ahmed Naser Al-Raisi appointed chairman of UAE AI firm Neurovia

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist