Business

EU recovery fund must become operational ‘without delay’: Lagarde

€750 billion Next Generation EU package is badly needed to cushion economic hit from pandemic

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 19 Nov 2020 7:30PM

EU recovery fund must become operational ‘without delay’: Lagarde
European Central Bank chief Christine Lagarde says the Next Generation EU package’s additional resources will help to facilitate expansionary fiscal policies, most notably in those euro area countries with limited fiscal space – Pixabay pic, November 19, 2020

FRANKFURT – European Central Bank chief Christine Lagarde on Thursday called for the EU's planned coronavirus recovery fund to become available “without delay”, after Poland and Hungary blocked the adoption of the plan.

The appeal came ahead of a videoconference by EU leaders set to be dominated by the budget row, which threatens to hold up the unlocking of badly needed stimulus to cushion the economic hit from the pandemic.

The €750 billion (RM3.63 trillion) Next Generation EU package “must become operational without delay,” Lagarde told the European Parliament’s committee on economic and monetary affairs.

“The package’s additional resources can facilitate expansionary fiscal policies, most notably in those euro area countries with limited fiscal space,” she added.

The ECB itself has taken unprecedented measures to keep credit flowing and help eurozone countries weather the coronavirus fallout, including through ultra-cheap loans to banks and a €1.35 trillion emergency bond-buying scheme.

Lagarde has repeatedly urged European governments to help carry the load through fiscal stimulus, and has strongly encouraged the EU's proposed rescue package.

But under EU procedure, member states need to give unanimous backing to the plan.

Earlier this week, Warsaw and Budapest put a roadblock in the way by refusing to sign off on the package and the EU's long-term budget because they are opposed to plans to tie funding to criteria on rule of law. – AFP, November 19, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

New Malaysia-Thailand border crossing: Businesses will not be affected, says tourism authority

Malaysia / 1mth

Cases of foreigners marrying locals for business licenses in Selangor getting serious

World / 2mth

Trump's health: Weighs 108kg, heart age 14 years younger, hands bruised from frequent handshakes – Doctor

Malaysia / 3mth

Government’s RM5.7 billion spending cut a bold move to curb waste, says PKR leader

Malaysia / 3mth

Funding cutbacks may jeopardise public health, education, safety and crime prevention needs – Guan Eng

Trending / 4mth

Langkawi ferry to go out of business if trips are not reduced

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert