Business

Binance loses US$100 mil in crypto to scammers

Company managed to freeze 80% of assets, issue caused by exploit in system, says chief

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 07 Oct 2022 9:45PM

Binance loses US$100 mil in crypto to scammers
Scammers have stolen cryptocurrency worth around US$100 million from Binance, but company chief has said that the issue had been contained while assuring his followers on Twitter. – AFP pic, October 7, 2022

PARIS – Scammers stole cryptocurrency worth roughly $100 million (RM460 million) from Binance, the world’s biggest exchange for cryptoassets, the firm said today.

The total stolen was $580 million, but company chief Changpeng Zhao said roughly 80% had been frozen immediately, and the damage had been limited to less than $100 million.

He tweeted that “an exploit” in the system led to extra production of the exchange’s dedicated currency, BNB, but insisted the issue had been “contained” and told his seven million followers: “Your funds are safe.”

It is among the biggest thefts in cryptocurrency history and comes in a year where scammers preying on the sector have got away with billions of dollars.

In the most damaging incident, the Axie Infinity blockchain game was hacked for more than $500 million in late March.

Both scams exploited weaknesses in “cross-chain bridges” – the means used by investors to move assets from one blockchain to another.

Blockchains are digital ledgers that store details of transactions – the biggest is bitcoin but there are thousands of others.

Binance, which dominates the sector and boasted of handling transactions worth $32 trillion last year, said in a statement that “a total of 2 million BNB was withdrawn”, which valued the heist at $580 million.

Zhao later clarified in an interview with MSNBC that most of those coins had been frozen.

‘Complete chaos’ 

Prominent crypto figures had taken to social media late yesterday talking of a $600 million theft hours before the firm sent its first statement.

“Somebody on BNB just got hacked for (roughly) 2 million BNB,” wrote a developer who uses the name @foobar on Twitter.

“The attacker is spewing funds across liquidity pools and utilising every bridge they can to get to safer chains. Complete chaos on the chain.”

Experts have been warning of security lapses on cross-chain bridges all year.

Chainalysis, a crypto analysis firm, said in August that bridge exploits had accounted for around $2 billion in thefts this year already.

Elliptic, another analysis firm, said in a report this week that bridges “tend to accumulate large amounts of locked assets on numerous blockchains, many of which may not have advanced security or auditing cultures due to their relative obscurity”.

“This has made bridges an attractive target for cybercriminals in the past,” it added.

Governments around the world are concerned that cryptocurrencies are being used to fund terrorism, circumvent sanctions and prop up repressive regimes.

Experts believe groups linked to North Korea have been behind some of the most high-profile heists, including the Axie Infinity breach. – AFP, October 7, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

Inspector nabbed in connection with RM1.25 million extortion case

Malaysia / 2y

Supervisor loses almost RM1 mil in cryptocurrency scam

Tech / 3y

What's the carbon footprint of ChatGPT?

Business / 3y

Hackers swipe RM67 mil worth of coins from crypto exchange

Business / 3y

Montenegro says arrested Korean crypto fugitive Do Kwon

Business / 3y

Celebrities Lindsay Lohan, Jake Paul charged for touting crypto

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns