Business

Indonesia plans to ban bauxite exports next year

President Joko Widodo announces this as move to boost domestic processing industries

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 21 Dec 2022 5:35PM

Indonesia plans to ban bauxite exports next year
President Joko Widodo has announced that Indonesia will ban bauxite exports next year in an effort to boost domestic processing industries. – Pixabay pic, December 21, 2022

JAKARTA – Indonesia will ban exports of bauxite next year, President Joko Widodo said today, in his latest move to boost domestic processing industries.

The country was in 2020 the world’s fifth biggest producer of bauxite – which is used in making aluminium – with close to 21 million tons, according to the US geological survey. Most of the exports went to China.

“Starting in June 2023, the government will impose a ban on bauxite ore exports and boost the domestic bauxite processing and refining industries,” Widodo told journalists.

He said the government aimed to replicate the development of nickel processing in the archipelago after it stopped exports of the raw mineral in 2020.

Since then, the resource-rich country has drawn investments mostly from China to build smelters.

“The government continues to bolster domestic processing of the natural resources. Exports of raw materials will continue to be reduced, as natural resource-based downstream industries will continue to be boosted,” he said.

Indonesia, once the world’s biggest exporter of nickel ore, is locked in a trade dispute with the European Union over the export ban on the key mineral, which is used to make batteries for electric vehicles, stainless steel and mobile phones.

The Southeast Asian country has also been criticised for its protectionist measures aimed at prioritising supply and price stability domestically. Earlier this year, it temporarily prohibited shipments of coal and palm oil. – AFP, December 21, 2022

Related News

World / 1w

Powerful earthquake strikes off coast of Indonesia; tsunami warning issued

Events / 2w

Former Indonesian president in Penang next month for inaugural Peace Dialogue

Malaysia / 4mth

Hajiji denies claims Sebatik Island land was handed over to Indonesia

Sports & Fitness / 6mth

Malaysia clinches three titles at Indonesia Masters

Sports & Fitness / 7mth

Valencia coach Fernando Martin dies in Indonesia boat accident

Malaysia / 8mth

Halmahera earthquake in Indonesia today poses no tsunami threat to Malaysia

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns