Business

[UPDATED] RM1,500 min wage put on hold until July for firms with less than five workers: minister

Move aimed at helping such companies adjust their cash flow, improve financial standing

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 27 Dec 2022 11:54AM

[UPDATED] RM1,500 min wage put on hold until July for firms with less than five workers: minister
Human Resources Minister V. Sivakumar says the government made the decision after taking into account the views of various stakeholders who are expecting economic and financial challenges in 2023. – ABDUL RAZAK LATIF/The Vibes pic, December 27, 2022

KUALA LUMPUR – The implementation of the RM1,500 minimum wage has been suspended for companies with less than five employees until July 1 next year.

According to Human Resources Minister V. Sivakumar, this move is aimed at helping such companies adjust their cash flow and improve their financial standing.

“This decision was made after the government took into account the views of various stakeholders who are expecting economic and financial challenges in 2023,” he said in a statement.

The latest minimum wage increase, which took effect on May 1 this year, was previously postponed for those companies to January 1 next year.

However, the Human Resources Ministry said the suspension does not apply to employers with five or more employees, and employers involved in professional activities outlined in the Malaysia Standard Classification of Occupation (Masco).

They are to adhere to the minimum wage increase from May 1.

Previously, Malaysian Employers’ Federation president Datuk Syed Hussain Syed Husman said employers across the country are already bearing an additional cost of RM14 billion a year since May 1 when the minimum wage was increased from RM1,200 per month to RM1,500.

Some employers, he added, are still struggling to fully implement minimum wage requirements while some of them fail to comply because they are unable to.

“In general, employers try to implement the matter, but there are situations where some of them have to go out of business because they are unable to do so.” – The Vibes, December 27, 2022

Related News

World / 2mth

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer announces resignation

Malaysia / 3mth

SB claims and due diligence failures raise fresh questions over Bestinet deal, says Charles Santiago

Malaysia / 4mth

West Asia conflict: Government ready to consider cutting ministers' salaries if economy deteriorates

Malaysia / 7mth

Perlis MB: New exco line-up to be appointed in two weeks; Salary cuts for him, exco

People / 10mth

Father earning RM2,600 a month makes heart-breaking decision to send his kids to home

Malaysia / 1y

National-level reforms needed to boost tourism industry, says Penang Exco

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns