Business

No deal between US, TikTok as asset sale deadline nears

Committee wants ByteDance to put app's American assets into US hands

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 05 Dec 2020 12:20PM

No deal between US, TikTok as asset sale deadline nears
The US had already backed off enforcing a ban on TikTok, in compliance with a court order in favour of the Chinese-owned social media sensation. – December 5, 2020

SAN FRANCISCO – Short-form video app TikTok and the Trump administration had not come to terms over sale of the company's US operations late yesterday as a deadline loomed, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The Committee on Foreign Investment had given TikTok parent ByteDance, based in China, until midnight to come up with an acceptable deal to put TikTok's American assets into US hands.

Talks between TikTok and government negotiators will continue even after the deadline passes, and people in the US will still be able to use the popular smartphone app for sharing video snippets, the source said.

TikTok and the US Treasury, which oversees the committee on foreign investment, declined to comment.

The US had already backed off enforcing a ban on TikTok, in compliance with a court order in favour of the Chinese-owned social media sensation.

The White House claims TikTok has links to the Chinese government through its parent firm ByteDance.

TikTok has repeatedly defended itself against allegations of data transfers to the Chinese government. 

It says its servers where user information is stored are located in the US and Singapore.

A US federal judge in late October issued an injunction temporarily blocking an executive order by Trump aimed at banning TikTok, throwing up a legal roadblock.

The judge's ruling hit the brakes on a Trump threat to knock TikTok offline by cutting it off from US businesses providing website hosting, data storage and other fundamentals needed to operate.

But TikTok influencers suing the president over the ban convinced US District Court's Wendy Beetlestone to issue the injunction against it.

It was the second restraint issued in favour of TikTok by US judges against a set of executive orders issued by Trump which sought to ban new downloads of the app beginning in September, and ban it outright by mid-November.

A temporary injunction issued in September in a separate suit filed by TikTok itself prevented the government from removing it from mobile application download platforms.

Judges in both cases said in rulings that the chances of proving in court that Trump overstepped his authority were good.

They also equated TikTok to films, photographs and news wires with legal protections.

The deadline yesterday was for ByteDance to come up with a deal to sell TikTok operations in the US.

A tentative deal has been unveiled that would make Silicon Valley giant Oracle the technology partner for TikTok and a stakeholder in a new entity to be known as TikTok Global. – AFP, December 5, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 2d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 2d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 2w

Two podcasters remanded for two days over alleged controversial episode

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 3w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir