Malaysia

'I can forgive ... but that won't bring Zulfarhan back'

Zulfarhan's father said that it would be best if all the accused did not meet him after completing their prison sentences.

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 28 Feb 2025 6:25PM

'I can forgive ... but that won't bring Zulfarhan back'
Zulfarhan succumbed to his injuries at Serdang Hospital on June 1, 2017. - February 28, 2025

"I LEARNT that they will be released four years from now, and if they apologise, I am ready to forgive … but the sad part is my son will not come back to life."

Thus said the mother of naval cadet officer, Zulfarhan Osman Zulkarnain, Hawa Osman, after the Federal Court overturned the death sentence for six former students from the National Defence University of Malaysia (UPNM) convicted of the murder of Naval Cadet Officer Zulfarhan Osman Zulkarnain eight years ago.

According to reports in Sinar Harian, Hawa, 62, who was accompanied by her husband, Zulkarnain Idros, did now show much expression when the verdict was read out.

"Previously, two families of the accused met us, and they too said they were not at peace over their children's actions against Zulfarhan.

"I forgive them, but not completely, because we know the deceased did not commit any wrongdoing against all the accused," he said.

Meanwhile, Zulkarnain, 61, said that it would be best if all the accused did not meet him after completing their prison sentences.

"It's better not to come, I am afraid old wounds will bleed again, it may have healed for now, but the scar remains.

"This is the best for the peace of both parties," he said as reported by Sinar Harian.

Earlier, the court upheld the 18-year prison sentence, which was previously imposed by the Kuala Lumpur High Court.

The three-member panel, chaired by the Chief Judge of Malaya, Datuk Seri Hasnah Mohammed Hashim, and comprising Federal Court Judges Datuk Nordin Hassan and Datuk Abdul Karim Abdul Jalil, accepted the final appeals of the six men, who had been sentenced to death by hanging following an earlier decision by the Court of Appeal on July 23 of last year.

The six individuals—Muhammad Akmal Zuhairi Azmal, Muhammad Azamuddin Mad Sofi, Muhammad Najib Mohd Razi, Muhammad Afif Najmudin Azahat, Mohamad Shobirin Sabri, and Abdoul Hakeem Mohd Ali—are now aged 29.

They were initially convicted for the fatal assault on Zulfarhan, which occurred at the university's Jebat Hostel between 4:45 am and 5:45 am on May 22, 2017.

Zulfarhan later succumbed to his injuries at Serdang Hospital on June 1, 2017. – February 28, 2025

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

Syed Saddiq walks free: Federal Court upholds acquittal

Malaysia / 3mth

Court of Appeal: Emergency proclamations beyond judicial review

Malaysia / 4mth

Court of Appeal grants stay on order over Sabah's 40 per cent revenue entitlement

Malaysia / 5mth

Apex court grants PETRONAS leave to challenge Sarawak state laws

Malaysia / 5mth

Isa Samad wants Federal Court to reconsider its decision to convict him

Malaysia / 5mth

Family takes issue of government responsibility in Altantuya's death to Federal Court

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Malaysians urged to rethink travel to southern Thailand after 51 violent incidents

Malaysia

Poor air quality: Sharp rise in asthma cases

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

UIAM clarifies Dr Solehah Yaacob no longer with university

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

Malaysia

Bersatu ‘technically’ no longer PN member, says Takiyuddin

Malaysia

PM Anwar receives royal honour from Brunei Sultan