Malaysia

HSR cancellation more to do with M’sian politics, analysts say

Project not among priorities of Perikatan govt, which is trying to hold on to power, says expert

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 02 Jan 2021 10:00AM

HSR cancellation more to do with M’sian politics, analysts say
The concept design for the Melaka station of the scrapped KL-Singapore HSR project. – MyHSR pic, January 2, 2021

KUALA LUMPUR – The termination of the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore High-Speed Rail (HSR) has more to do with Malaysian politics than bilateral ties, political analysts told Today Online.

Penang Institute executive director Ooi Kee Beng said the project was not conceived purely from a national economic standpoint, but is affected by many political interests.

Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin’s administration is weak, he said, and has been trying to stay in power since taking over Putrajaya in March.

“HSR would not have been among its priorities.”

He is also doubtful that the termination was about economic gains and losses.

“To start with, though, gains to the national economy from an HSR along the peninsula would have been greater if the project sought to connect Johor and Singapore to the Thai border, serving all major economic hubs along the way.

“The short version from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore lacked nation-building ambitions, and was more a mega project geared towards serving certain personal and political interests.”

Tasmania University’s Asia Institute director, Prof James Chin, agreed that Muhyiddin’s priority is to stay in power, and said the prime minister has been dodging calls for an early general election.

“After a year of Covid-19 and trying to restart the economy, the (Perikatan Nasional) government probably felt that this project was too closely tied to the old government, and so, some of the people involved in this new government are probably looking for something else.”

Law Associate Prof Eugene Tan of Singapore Management University, too, sees the matter as a case of “internal domestic concerns”.

“Any state government would want to try to have as many stops as possible within their state, (but) if there are more stops, then it is not an HSR anymore.

“They may have aligned stretches across, but whether they will be of the same standard, quality and speed remains to be seen. (If they give in to more stops), it then raises the question of why not use the KTM (Keretapi Tanah Melayu) instead? Why build a parallel line?”

The much-anticipated HSR was called off yesterday after both countries failed to reach an agreement, following the lapse of the project’s suspension period.

A joint statement by Muhyiddin and his Singaporean counterpart, Lee Hsien Loong, said both governments were unable to come to an agreement on several changes proposed by Malaysia, despite their discussions.

The changes were mooted in light of the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the economy.

In a separate statement, Singapore’s Transport Ministry said Malaysia has to pay compensation for costs already incurred.

As a result of the deal’s termination, it is said that Malaysia will have to pay RM300 million to its southern neighbour.

The 350km rail line would have significantly cut travel time between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore to just 90 minutes. Its bilateral agreement was signed in December 2016, under the administration of Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

The HSR, proposed to connect Bandar Malaysia in downtown Kuala Lumpur to a terminal in Singapore’s Jurong East, was initially slated for completion in 2026.

In May 2018, following the change in Malaysia’s government, the project was suspended for two years, before it was extended to December 31 last year.

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Economy) Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed said Malaysia will undertake a detailed study on the viability of a domestic HSR, among other options.

In a statement yesterday, he said the country has been exploring a number of alternatives to reduce the cost of the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore HSR project since 2018, with the matter becoming more urgent with the onset of the pandemic.

These include changes to the project structure, alignment and station design, as the original requires substantial and long-term government guarantees.

By virtue of previously agreed terms, said Mustapa, Malaysia will honour its obligations, with both countries to determine the compensation amount.

However, former transport minister Anthony Loke yesterday said having a domestic HSR makes no sense.

He rubbished the PN government’s proposal, saying it should be dropped.

Such a project is redundant, given the ongoing RM10 billion double-tracking railway link between Gemas and Johor Baru slated for completion next year, he said.

“When this track is completed, it means that the existing double-tracking route between Padang Besar in the north will connect directly to Johor Baru in the south, making the Electric Train Service (ETS) operated by KTMB (Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd) available to the public.

“Although ETS is not as fast as HSR, in my opinion, it is sufficient for domestic services. The government only needs to allocate sufficient trains to increase the frequency of services.”

He also called on Putrajaya to be transparent on the compensation to Singapore. – The Vibes, January 2, 2021

Related News

Business / 2y

KL-S’pore rail project: govt mulls new implementation, financing methods

Business / 3y

KL-S’pore HSR: MyHSR extends purchase of RFI documents to Nov 15

Malaysia / 3y

HSR back on track? Only if funded by private sector: Loke

Malaysia / 3y

Dr Mahathir, Muhyiddin, two ex-ministers sued over HSR cancellation

Malaysia / 3y

Time to revive HSR project, says Johor exco

Malaysia / 4y

Pakatan wasn’t opposed to infrastructure projects: Loke hits back at Najib

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Anwar unveils first online 9.9 Jualan Ihsan Rahmah sale for Malaysians

Malaysia

Immigration “Black Maria” lorry driver suspended after crash kills father, 2 daughters in KL

Malaysia

White House accuses Malaysia, Indonesia of helping China evade US tariffs

Malaysia

Elderly man, son and granddaughter burnt to death in Sabah house fire

Malaysia

Immigration's 'Black Maria' driver charged with causing death of three family members

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Online scam content removed surges 15-fold to nearly 100,000 in Malaysia

Malaysia

Warning lights are not a 'license' to ignore traffic laws – Bukit Aman