Malaysia

Domestic HSR project makes no sense: Loke

Seremban MP Anthony Loke suggests Malaysia now focus on completing existing projects like MRT3 faster

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Jan 2021 8:59PM

Domestic HSR project makes no sense: Loke
Former Transport Minister Anthony Loke hits out at the government’s proposal to set up a domestic high-speed rail project, now that the line connecting KL and Singapore has been called off. – RoketKini file pic, January 1, 2021

KUALA LUMPUR – Former transport minister Anthony Loke has rubbished the Perikatan Nasional (PN) government’s proposal to set up a domestic high-speed rail (HSR) project, describing it as something that does not make sense and should be discontinued.

Questioning if the proposed domestic HSR covers the KL-Johor Baru route, Loke, who is also Seremban MP, said that the idea will be redundant given the ongoing RM10 billion double-tracking railway project between Gemas and Johor Baru that will be completed next year.

“When this track is completed, it means that the existing double-tracking route between Padang Besar in the north will connect directly to Johor Baru in the south, making the Electric Train Service (ETS) operated by KTMB (Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd) available to the public.

“Although the ETS is not as fast as HSR, in my opinion, it is sufficient for domestic services. The government only needs to allocate sufficient trains to increase the frequency of services,” he said in a statement today.

Loke suggested since the final decision to cancel the HSR between KL and Singapore has been made, the government’s focus should be on completing existing projects at an accelerated rate. 

“This includes increasing KTMB’s capacity in cargo handling by train as well as other public transport projects such as Mass Rapid Transit 3 (MRT) in the Klang Valley, Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Johor Baru and so on.” 

He also called on the PN government to be transparent on the compensation being paid to Singapore.

“During Pakatan Harapan’s era, all costs paid to Singapore following the project’s delay were declared to the public. The Perikatan Nasional administration should not hide those details.

“The government must be transparent on this matter and announce to the people the amount of compensation to be paid to Singapore and the total costs incurred by MyHSR Corp, which is borne by taxpayers since 2016.”

His criticism came after Minister in the Prime Minister's Department (Economy) Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed’s statement earlier today, suggesting a local high-speed rail line instead.

Mustapa said the government would undertake a detailed study on the viability of a domestic HSR project, among other possible options, after its agreement with Singapore was terminated, adding that the study would take into consideration the benefits for Malaysians.

If it materialises, this corroborates previous reports saying the country would continue the project without Singapore’s involvement, with the line to end in Johor Baru. 

Malaysia, he said, had been exploring several alternatives to reduce the cost of the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore HSR project since 2018, with the matter becoming more urgent with the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic. 

However, following a series of discussions, both countries were not able to come to an agreement before the original bilateral agreement lapsed yesterday. 

Mustapa said by virtue of previously agreed terms, Malaysia would honour its obligations, with both countries to initiate the necessary negotiations to determine the amount of compensation to the island republic.

Earlier, Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin and his Singapore counterpart Lee Hsien Loong in a joint statement, announced that the project has been officially called off after both governments failed to reach an agreement. 

During the Pakatan Harapan administration, former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamed in June 2018 announced that the project was suspended from September 2018 to May 2020 to salvage the country’s strained fiscal position failing which a compensation will be paid to the Singaporean government.

However, last May, the PN government extended the suspension period until yesterday, regarded as the “final extension” in another agreement reached with Singapore. – The Vibes, January 1, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

Cabinet approves 17 measures to beef up KLIA security checks, controls

Malaysia / 5mth

Domestic flight capacity increases ahead of Hari Raya - Loke

Malaysia / 6mth

DAP’s July 12 congress: An indication of deeper unease within the party?

Malaysia / 1y

Airlines to refund consumers for flight delays soon, says Anthony Loke

Malaysia / 2y

B1, B2 licences can be upgraded to Class B now, says Anthony Loke

Malaysia / 2y

Anthony Loke’s shortness of breath not related to heart attack, says Lukanisman

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

White House accuses Malaysia, Indonesia of helping China evade US tariffs

Malaysia

Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses

Malaysia

Anwar: Felda’s RM2.5b Eagle High Investment could shrink to RM200m

Malaysia

Dr Mahathir slams Netanyahu over opposition to Palestinian state

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Fahmi to summon telco CEOs over SIM cards allegedly used by scam syndicates

Malaysia

MOF received 'higher-ups' instructions on PMO's recommendation process for Jana Wibawa project

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Jana Wibawa witness: Muhyiddin never asked for RM1m Bersatu donation