Malaysia

Man held on 7-day remand over alleged assault that led to wife’s miscarriage

A man accused of violently assaulting his wife in Ambangan Height, Kedah, resulting in her miscarriage, has been remanded for seven days as police continue investigations

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 29 Apr 2026 10:46AM

Man held on 7-day remand over alleged assault that led to wife’s miscarriage
The victim is believed to have been beaten with various objects, including a clothes hanger, rubber hose, curtain rod and a broom handle, which reportedly broke during the attack (Photo from NSTP) - April 29, 2026

A MAN suspected of brutally assaulting his wife, causing her to suffer a miscarriage, has been placed under a seven-day remand order to assist police investigations in Sungai Petani.

The remand application was granted by Magistrate Mohammad Azlan Basri today.

Authorities said the incident occurred in Ambangan Height last Thursday, where the victim sustained injuries after allegedly being attacked by her husband.

Previous reports indicated that the 39-year-old civil servant suffered injuries to multiple parts of her body during the assault, which also led to the loss of her 12-week pregnancy.

The victim is believed to have been beaten with various objects, including a clothes hanger, rubber hose, curtain rod and a broom handle, which reportedly broke during the attack.

She sustained serious injuries, including a fractured finger on her left hand, facial bruising, possible broken ribs, and abdominal trauma consistent with being punched.

The suspect was arrested in the Alor Setar area on Tuesday after fleeing the scene following the incident.

Police also confirmed that the suspect is the same individual previously linked to another violent incident involving the assault of a woman in Johor Bahru South in 2021.

In a police statement dated 18 May 2021, the Johor Bahru District Police Headquarters had been seeking a witness to assist investigations under Section 325 of the Penal Code.

The individual, then aged 38, was described as a trader with a last known address at the police quarters in Taman Derga Jaya, Alor Setar.

Investigations into the latest case are ongoing. - April 29, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Child safety a priority in facing the increasingly worrying haze threat

Malaysia

Melaka election: MCA targets seven seats, aims to take two from DAP

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

Kepong MP: Hadi has no immunity from law over alleged anti-DAP claims

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Bersatu ‘technically’ no longer PN member, says Takiyuddin

Malaysia

All Malaysia Airlines pilots test negative for drugs