Malaysia

Three men detained over fatal machete attack in Bukit Kangkar restaurant

Investigators reveal the trio had been hiding in hotels across Melaka before their capture

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 30 Apr 2026 4:57PM

Three men detained over fatal machete attack in Bukit Kangkar restaurant
Police have arrested three men believed to be key suspects in a brutal public machete killing outside a restaurant in Bukit Kangkar last month (File pic) - April 30, 2026

THREE men suspected of involvement in a fatal attack in Tangkak have been detained after allegedly hiding in multiple hotels in Melaka prior to their arrest in connection with the high-profile murder case in Bukit Kangkar.

District police chief Superintendent Roslan Mohd Talib said the suspects, all wanted in relation to the killing of a man, were arrested between 7 pm and 7.45 pm the day before yesterday.

He confirmed that checks revealed all three men had prior criminal records involving drugs and other offences.

“The 24-year-old suspect has seven previous records, the 26-year-old has five cases, while the 32-year-old has six prior records,” he said.

“Acting on public information, police arrested the three suspects at three different hotel locations in Melaka Raya and Bandar Hilir.

“When detained, the suspects were resting and asleep in their respective rooms, and upon realising the presence of police, they attempted to flee but failed,” he added during a press conference after a disposal of case exhibits ceremony at the Tangkak District Police Headquarters.

Roslan said police are still tracking down two additional suspects believed to be at large and also involved in the case.

The three arrested suspects were remanded for seven days starting yesterday to assist investigations under Section 302 of the Penal Code.

In the incident, the victim, Tong Wei Sheng, 38, died upon arrival at hospital due to severe injuries to his arms, legs and back.

Police said the victim was chased by three armed men wielding machetes before being attacked near a food outlet and fleeing to a house in Batu 9, Bukit Kangkar. - April 30, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Poor air quality: Sharp rise in asthma cases

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Bersatu ‘technically’ no longer PN member, says Takiyuddin

Malaysia

Zahid calls for forensic audit into RM9b Felda losses

Malaysia

All Malaysia Airlines pilots test negative for drugs

Malaysia

Billionaire numbers reach record high as wealth remains concentrated

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Fahmi: Malaysia’s one-China policy on Taiwan remains unchanged

Malaysia

APM officer dies after being bitten by king cobra during reptile demonstration

Malaysia

API below 200: All schools in Sarawak will reopen tomorrow