Malaysia

Illegal gold mining tragedy in Jeli claims two lives after hillside collapse (Updated)

Two men died after being buried beneath a collapsing earth embankment believed to have occurred during illegal gold mining activities near an oil palm plantation stream in Jeli

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 21 May 2026 9:28AM

Illegal gold mining tragedy in Jeli claims two lives after hillside collapse (Updated)
Rescuers forced to battle treacherous terrain to reach the remote disaster site - May 21, 2026

TWO men were killed after being buried beneath a collapsing earth embankment believed to have occurred during illegal gold mining activities near an oil palm plantation stream in Jeli, with rescuers forced to battle treacherous terrain to reach the remote disaster site.

The victims, both believed to be in their 30s, died after a two-metre-high soil embankment gave way at an area near a tributary within Ladang Sawit Jerimbong at about 8.20pm on Wednesday.

A third individual reportedly survived the incident.

Jeli Fire and Rescue Station chief Adni Ibrahim said emergency services received a distress call reporting that several individuals had been trapped beneath the collapsed earth, prompting an immediate deployment of nine personnel to the scene for search and rescue operations.

However, the mission was severely hampered by difficult access routes within the plantation area.

“However, the rescue operation faced difficulties as the fire engine could not enter the plantation area due to the narrow and challenging route, forcing rescuers to use a Toyota Hilux pickup truck to reach the location,” he said.

He added that rescuers began the search operation at 9.20pm before discovering that two victims had been buried by the collapsed hillside near the stream area.

“The search operation began at 9.20pm and it was found that two victims were buried following the collapse of a two-metre-high soil embankment in the tributary area,” he said.

The first victim was recovered at 9.25pm, while the second body was located nearly two hours later at 11.18pm.

“Both men, believed to be in their 30s, were confirmed dead at the scene by health personnel before their bodies were handed over to the police for further action,” he said.

In a new development, the identities of two men who were killed after being buried beneath a collapsed earth embankment near an oil palm plantation stream in Jeli have been confirmed, as rescuers revealed details of the late-night recovery operation in the remote area.

Jeli Fire and Rescue Station operations commander Izuan Che Ibrahim said the victims were identified as Muhamad Ali Akhbar, 38, and Mohamad Noor Illyas Suhaisham, 32.

Both men were pronounced dead at the scene after becoming trapped beneath a two-metre-high soil collapse near a tributary close to Ladang Sawit Jerimbong on Wednesday night.

Emergency responders received a distress call regarding the incident at approximately 8.20pm before launching a search and rescue operation in the challenging plantation terrain.

“The body of the first victim was found at 9.25pm, while the body of the second victim was recovered at 11.18pm last night,” he said in a statement on Thursday.

He added that both bodies had been handed over to the police for further action.

The incident is believed to have occurred during gold mining activities in the area, with authorities previously confirming that another individual survived the collapse -May 21, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Malaysia urges ASEAN to tighten action against haze

Malaysia

Two local firms get access to Arm technology in push for homegrown chip design

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

Malaysia

‘Why hasn’t my husband come to see me?’: Woman unaware family died in crash

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Plans underway to set up financial hub on Pulau Jerejak

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Govt targets 30% cut in imported seed dependence by 2040