Malaysia

Mystery death in stolen Proton Wira sparks police investigation in Baling

A man with a lengthy criminal and narcotics record was found dead inside a locked Proton Wira reported stolen, prompting forensic investigations and public appeals for information in Kedah

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 24 May 2026 9:01AM

Mystery death in stolen Proton Wira sparks police investigation in Baling
Police have currently classified the case as a sudden death pending further investigation - May 24, 2026

POLICE have confirmed that the body discovered inside a locked Proton Wira by the roadside near a Chinese cemetery in Tawar was that of a local man in his 30s with an extensive criminal background.

Baling district police chief Superintendent Brandon Richard Joe said authorities received a report at 11.35am regarding an unconscious man inside a vehicle near Simpang 3 Tawar.

Acting on the information, officers from the Baling district police headquarters arrived at the scene and found the Proton Wira locked, with the man inside already deceased.

Fire and Rescue Department personnel from the Baling station were later deployed to assist police in forcing open the vehicle and removing the body.

A forensic team from the Kedah police contingent headquarters also conducted examinations at the location as part of the ongoing investigation.

Brandon said preliminary investigations identified the deceased as a Malaysian man in his 30s.

“Preliminary investigations found that the man was a local in his 30s, and checks on his records revealed that the deceased had 20 previous criminal records involving crime and narcotics,” he said.

Police checks further revealed that the Proton Wira had previously been reported stolen in Pendang and was being investigated under Section 379A of the Penal Code for vehicle theft.

“Furthermore, inspections conducted at the scene found that the Proton Wira had been reported missing in Pendang and was being investigated under Section 379A of the Penal Code.

“Police have seized the vehicle for investigation purposes and further action by the investigating officer handling the case,” he added.

The body was later transported to the Forensic Department of Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital in Alor Setar for further examination.

Police have currently classified the case as a sudden death pending further investigation.

Authorities also urged the public not to speculate on the circumstances surrounding the incident out of respect for the deceased’s family.

Anyone with information related to the case has been asked to contact Tawar police station chief Sergeant Major Hafeedz Amil at 017-5588637 or visit the nearest police station.

Earlier reports stated that firefighters had been called to Jalan Jerat Cina in Tawar to unlock the vehicle after the body was found inside, reportedly in the front passenger seat. - May 24, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam raid cleared and repatriated

Malaysia

Two cyclists killed after car swerves into them on Putrajaya road

Malaysia

Armed gang escapes with RM500,000 in jewellery after five-minute Kuantan raid

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Sarawak haze worsens as 10 areas record unhealthy air quality

Malaysia

BN puts ‘benefit versus harm’ at heart of Melaka election alliance talks

Malaysia

Malaysia urges ASEAN to tighten action against haze

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns