Malaysia

Teenager faces murder investigation after Simpang Renggam crash that killed family of four

The 19-year-old driver previously investigated for dangerous driving is now the subject of a murder probe following a high-speed crash in Kluang that killed four members of the same family

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 05 Jun 2026 10:45AM

Teenager faces murder investigation after Simpang Renggam crash that killed family of four
The case marks a dramatic escalation in one of the state's deadliest recent road tragedies (Photo from Bernama) - June 5, 2026

POLICE have intensified their investigation into the devastating crash that claimed the lives of four members of a family in Simpang Renggam by re-arresting a teenage driver and opening a murder investigation.

The move signals a significant shift in the case from a traffic-related inquiry to a criminal probe carrying far more serious legal consequences, reflecting the gravity of the circumstances surrounding the fatal collision.

Kluang district police chief ACP Bahrin Mohd Noh said the 19-year-old suspect had initially been remanded for investigations under Section 42(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for reckless and dangerous driving.

The teenager was first remanded for two days beginning June 2, before the detention order was extended by an additional day to facilitate further investigations.

Although he was subsequently released on police bail after the completion of that remand period, authorities have now taken him back into custody as investigators pursue a new line of inquiry under Section 302 of the Penal Code.

Bahrin said police would seek a fresh remand order at the Kluang Court today to facilitate investigations into the murder allegation.

The case stems from a horrific multi-vehicle collision that occurred on June 1 at Kilometre 27 of Jalan Renggam-Simpang Renggam.

The crash claimed the lives of four members of a family travelling in a Toyota Vios, including a 10-year-old girl. All four victims were pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigators believe the collision unfolded after a BMW 530e lost control before crossing into the opposite carriageway and crashing into several oncoming vehicles, including a Perodua Alza, the victims' Toyota Vios, a Proton Wira and another Mercedes-Benz.

Police suspect the BMW was travelling alongside a Mercedes-Benz A250 driven by the 19-year-old at the time of the incident.

The BMW was driven by the suspect's 22-year-old brother, who suffered critical injuries and later died while being transported to hospital.

The tragedy shocked the nation and reignited concerns over reckless driving involving high-performance vehicles on public roads, particularly after preliminary investigations suggested both luxury cars may have been travelling at excessive speeds before the collision.

The decision to investigate the surviving driver for murder marks a rare development in fatal road crash cases and underscores the seriousness with which authorities are treating allegations surrounding the circumstances that led to the deaths of the four victims.

Police have not disclosed further details regarding the basis of the murder investigation, with inquiries continuing as officers seek to establish the full sequence of events leading up to the fatal crash. - June 5, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Teacher, six-year-old child killed as MPV skids, lands in ravine

Malaysia

Malaysia-Brunei to discuss regional haze, border security at Annual Leaders’ Consultation

Malaysia

PH, BN weigh Melaka election pact as Amirudin moves to open talks with Anwar

Malaysia

Armed gang escapes with RM500,000 in jewellery after five-minute Kuantan raid

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

Malaysia

Govt agency chairman, four others remanded 4 days over alleged RM1.96m Penang land loss

Malaysia

Govt targets 30% cut in imported seed dependence by 2040