Malaysia

Authorities previously raided viral ‘illegal flat’ linked to Rohingya settlement claims

The raid led to the detention of 45 foreign nationals, police reveal

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 09 Jun 2026 3:21PM

Authorities previously raided viral ‘illegal flat’ linked to Rohingya settlement claims
A building at the centre of a social media storm over allegations that it housed Rohingya refugees in Hulu Langat was the subject of an immigration enforcement operation last year (Photo from Harian Metro) - June 9, 2026

A CONTROVERSIAL multi-storey building that recently went viral amid allegations it was being used as accommodation for Rohingya refugees had already been targeted in a major enforcement operation by authorities more than a year ago, according to police.

Kajang District Police Chief Assistant Commissioner Naazron Abdul Yusof said a joint operation conducted in February last year at the premises in Kampung Kenangan, Hulu Langat resulted in the detention of 45 foreign nationals.

The group comprised 35 men, three women and four children.

"All those arrested were investigated by the Immigration Department of Malaysia under Section 51(3)(a) of the Immigration Act 1959/63 (Act 155) and were detained under Section 51(5)(b) of the same Act," he said in a statement on Tuesday.

Naazron added that enforcement action was also taken against a local man who identified himself as the son of the property owner.

"One IMM 29 Form (Summons to Witness) and one Search Form under Section 51(1) of the Immigration Act 1959/63 were issued to the man at the location," he said.

The police chief said the premises are currently believed to be occupied by two families, namely the property owner and a local Malaysian tenant.

The issue resurfaced after a video circulating widely on social media showed the building, which many users claimed had been constructed illegally. The structure attracted attention because of its unfinished exterior appearance, while sections of the corridor appeared to be enclosed only with zinc sheets.

The footage, shared by a local celebrity, quickly ignited debate online, with some social media users alleging that the building had been constructed by foreign nationals and was being used as a settlement for undocumented migrants.

The controversy has intensified public scrutiny over the status of the premises, prompting calls for clarification from local authorities regarding its legality and occupancy.

Meanwhile, the Kajang Municipal Council (MPKj) has indicated that it will issue an official statement on the matter in the near future. - June 9, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

Govt targets 30% cut in imported seed dependence by 2040

Malaysia

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

PN has no right to prevent BN from negotiating with any party

Malaysia

Elderly man, son and granddaughter burnt to death in Sabah house fire

Malaysia

Armed gang escapes with RM500,000 in jewellery after five-minute Kuantan raid

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani