Malaysia

Rohingya labourer pleads not guilty to armed robbery of badminton great Razif Sidek’s home

Prosecutors opposed bail, citing the seriousness of the offence, the accused’s expired UNHCR documentation and concerns over the safety of witnesses

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 12 Jun 2026 3:24PM

Rohingya labourer pleads not guilty to armed robbery of badminton great Razif Sidek’s home
A Rohingya labourer pleaded not guilty to an armed robbery charge linked to the home of Malaysian badminton legend Datuk Razif Sidek - June 12, 2026

A ROHINGYA labourer was charged in the Sessions Court in Kuala Lumpur on Friday with allegedly carrying out an armed robbery at the residence of Malaysian badminton legend Datuk Razif Sidek last month.

Mohamad Fawyas Yasin, 27, pleaded not guilty after the charge was read before the court.

He is accused of robbing Datuk Mohamad Razif Mohd Sidek, 64, while armed with a knife at a house in Jalan Damansara, Taman Tun Dr Ismail, at approximately 12.20pm on May 19.

The charge was framed under Section 392 of the Penal Code and read together with Section 397, which provides for a maximum prison sentence of 14 years and may also carry a fine or whipping upon conviction.

Deputy Public Prosecutor J Banusha urged the court not to grant bail, arguing that the alleged offence was serious and that the accused’s United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) card had expired.

“Should bail be granted and the accused fail to attend court, it would be difficult to trace his whereabouts as he does not have a fixed address.

“Furthermore, the accused knows the addresses of the victim and witnesses, raising concerns that the witnesses could be disturbed,” she said.

Counsel Mansheel Kaur, representing Mohamad Fawyas, appealed for a low bail amount, telling the court that her client worked as a labourer earning RM50 per day and was responsible for supporting his unemployed wife and their 10-month-old child.

“The accused has lived in this country for 15 years and, with regard to the UNHCR card, the document is currently in the process of being renewed,” the lawyer said.

However, Sessions Court Judge Siti Shakirah Mohtarudin denied bail, ruling that the court could not take into consideration an expired UNHCR card when assessing the application.

The judge subsequently fixed July 14 for further mention of the case.

The proceedings mark the latest development in a case involving one of Malaysia’s most prominent former badminton players, with the accused remaining in custody pending further court action. - June 12, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Sarawak haze worsens as 10 areas record unhealthy air quality

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

PN has no right to prevent BN from negotiating with any party

Malaysia

Two cyclists killed after car swerves into them on Putrajaya road

Malaysia

BN puts ‘benefit versus harm’ at heart of Melaka election alliance talks

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale

Malaysia

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source