Malaysia

Anwar condemns 'double standards' after Norway blocks missile delivery despite 95% payment

The Prime Minister says the episode raises broader concerns over the selective application of international law and contractual obligations

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 02 Jul 2026 2:03PM

Anwar condemns 'double standards' after Norway blocks missile delivery despite 95% payment
Concerns deepen after Norway revokes export licences for Malaysia's Naval Strike Missile system despite the government having paid 95 per cent of the contract value - July 2, 2026

PRIME MINISTER Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has sharply criticised what he described as "double standards" in the application of international law after Norway cancelled the delivery of Malaysia's Naval Strike Missile (NSM) system despite the government having already paid 95 per cent of the contract value.

Speaking at the 37th Asia-Pacific Roundtable, Anwar said Malaysia would continue pursuing diplomatic and legal avenues but argued the cancellation reflected a wider pattern of selective adherence to international norms.

"Our position on this to both the company and the Norwegian government is crystal clear. While Malaysia will continue to seek diplomatic and legal remedies in good faith, this episode speaks to a larger problem and dangerous trend of double standards by those who claim to stand for the rule of law and the hypocrisy of those who are conveniently muted on such violations.

"Is it acceptable for some countries to ignore international laws and norms, while others are subjected to the strictest standard of compliance?" he said.

During the round table question-and-answer session, Anwar disclosed that he had personally written to European Union leaders to seek clarification, saying several had assured him Norway's decision did not represent the bloc's collective position.

"When you talk about Malaysia and the EU, this Norwegian stance against our government will not necessarily affect our relations with the EU. I wrote to all EU leaders and asked, 'Is this how you treat us?'

To this, French President Emmanuel Macron sent a personal note saying, 'Anwar, this does not represent the EU position'.

"Italy's Giorgia Meloni said the same, and Germany likewise," Anwar said, questioning Norway's explanation that the export licences had been revoked on security grounds.

"I spoke to the Prime Minister of Norway and was told it was due to security considerations. What has security got to do with this? Do you think we are selling missiles to Al-Qaeda? Come on," he said.

He added that Malaysia had also sought clarification from Washington over whether the United States had influenced Norway's decision.

"The US gave a clear position that it did not influence or pressure them," he said.

Norway confirmed on 15 May that it had revoked export licences related to the Naval Strike Missile system, citing tighter controls on sensitive defence technologies amid a changing global security environment.

Four days later, Malaysia served a notice of demand on the Norwegian defence contractor, seeking damages exceeding RM1 billion after the deal was cancelled despite almost full payment having been made.

Separately, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin rejected allegations that the government had made a premature payment of RM571.9 million for the missile procurement.

In a written parliamentary reply to the Dewan Rakyat, Khaled said the payment was not an advance but was made strictly in accordance with the contractual terms after the supplier had completed the agreed milestones.

He said the missile systems had been fully manufactured, successfully passed all testing requirements set by the Royal Malaysian Navy and were ready for delivery before Norway revoked the export licences.

"As such, the payment was made in accordance with the terms of the contract and not as an advance payment without physical progress," he said.

Responding to concerns raised by Pasir Gudang MP Hassan Abdul Karim, Khaled also dismissed claims that the procurement agreement lacked safeguards to protect the government's interests.

He said the contract contains provisions enabling the government to pursue legal remedies in the event of non-performance or breach of contractual obligations. "The allegation that the contract does not contain clauses protecting the government's interests is inaccurate." - July 2, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Online scam content removed surges 15-fold to nearly 100,000 in Malaysia

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Child safety a priority in facing the increasingly worrying haze threat

Malaysia

Fahmi to summon telco CEOs over SIM cards allegedly used by scam syndicates

Malaysia

Man arrested after viral video shows kitten being beaten with aluminium broom

Malaysia

White House accuses Malaysia, Indonesia of helping China evade US tariffs

Malaysia

Abdul Hadi escalates PAS-DAP row, says four Malay DAP leaders ‘have not studied’

Malaysia

BN puts ‘benefit versus harm’ at heart of Melaka election alliance talks