Malaysia

‘Want to contest in Negeri? No problem. Update your address first’ – Loke tells Albert Tei

Loke said Malaysia’s democratic system allows anyone to offer themselves as a candidate, provided they comply with the legal requirements.

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 02 Jul 2026 6:21PM

‘Want to contest in Negeri? No problem. Update your address first’ – Loke tells Albert Tei
The transport minister said he was unconcerned about who chooses to challenge him - July 2, 2026

DAP secretary-general Anthony Loke Siew Fook has reminded businessman Albert Tei to first update the address on his MyKad if he intends to contest in the Negeri Sembilan state election.

Loke said Malaysia’s democratic system allows anyone to offer themselves as a candidate, provided they comply with the legal requirements.

“This is a democracy. Anyone who wants to stand as a candidate is free to do so. That is everyone’s right.

“But I want to remind him to change his address first. If his registered address is not in Negeri Sembilan, he cannot contest,” he told reporters after the Negeri Sembilan-level MyLesen (B2) driving licence presentation ceremony today.

He was responding to businessman Albert Tei, whose full name is Tei Jiaan Cheing, 37, who has announced his intention to contest the Chennah state seat in the Aug 1 polls.

The transport minister said he was unconcerned about who chooses to challenge him, stressing that his priority remains serving the people of Chennah.

“My focus is on my work, on the people and voters of Chennah, whom I have represented for the past three terms. Whoever wants to contest is welcome to do so,” he said.

Loke first won the Chennah seat in the 2013 general election, defeating the Barisan Nasional candidate with a majority of 1,098 votes after securing 5,128 votes.

He retained the seat in the 2023 Negeri Sembilan state election with an increased majority of 2,200 votes, polling 5,888 votes to defeat the Perikatan Nasional candidate.

Before representing Chennah, Loke served as the state assemblyman for Lobak.

On the ongoing Johor state election campaign, Loke said campaigning has so far proceeded smoothly, with no provocation or untoward incidents reported. – July 2, 2026

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

If it's BN-PH, I won't contest the Melaka state election – Dr Akmal

Opinion / 2d

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia / 6d

Guan Eng accuses Penang CM of misleading people

Malaysia / 1w

To leave or to stay? Penang and Kedah DAP remain undecided

Malaysia / 1w

Nanta Linggi to leave Parliament after five terms, may contest new Sarawak state seat

Malaysia / 1w

Warisan keeps Sabah pact talks open, pushes for local parties to contest 25 seats

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Student involved in bullying case remanded, released on bail

Malaysia

PN has no right to prevent BN from negotiating with any party

Malaysia

Two cyclists killed after car swerves into them on Putrajaya road

Malaysia

Fahmi to summon telco CEOs over SIM cards allegedly used by scam syndicates

Malaysia

Immigration's 'Black Maria' driver charged with causing death of three family members

Malaysia

Five arrested as Johor police open three probes into reversed state and Malaysian flags

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

Just accept the court decision – Ramkarpal tells Sanusi

By Ian McIntyre