Malaysia

Onn Hafiz insists JS-SEZ masterplan is Malaysian-owned document

Onn Hafiz says the plan is a Malaysian government document that does not require Singapore’s approval amid a public exchange with the Prime Minister over its implementation

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 04 Jul 2026 9:42AM

Onn Hafiz insists JS-SEZ masterplan is Malaysian-owned document
Johor Menteri Besar Onn Hafiz Ghazi says his intention was not to criticise any party but to ensure accuracy in statements involving the key federal-state economic initiative - July 4, 2026

JOHOR Menteri Besar Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi has defended his comments on the Johor-Singapore Special Economic Zone (JS-SEZ) masterplan, saying his intention was not to criticise any party but to ensure accuracy in statements involving a key federal-state economic initiative.

He said clarity was essential given the Prime Minister’s position, stressing that public statements on the JS-SEZ must be based on precise information to avoid confusion among citizens and investors.

Onn Hafiz said it was inaccurate to suggest that the JS-SEZ masterplan still required approval from Singapore before it could be launched, insisting the document belongs to the Malaysian government and had already gone through the necessary consultation process with the republic.

“The masterplan is a Malaysian government document that does not require approval from Singapore. It has already gone through consultation and feedback with Singapore, which has been completed.

“What remains is its official launch by the ministry or at an event determined by the Malaysian government.

“That is why I believe that when the Prime Minister stated that the masterplan is still awaiting approval at a Leaders’ Retreat and requires signatures from both Prime Ministers, that statement is inaccurate and misleading to the public,” he said in a Facebook post.

He added that it was the responsibility of the Johor state government to ensure strategic initiatives with economic impact were implemented on schedule and expedited to provide certainty for investors.

Onn Hafiz said investors were closely watching the rollout of the JS-SEZ masterplan, as it would strengthen confidence in the special economic zone and encourage further investment.

“The benefits are not only for the people of Johor, but also for the Federal Government and all Malaysians.

“From the Prime Minister’s perspective, I may not be smart, but what is more concerning is if the Prime Minister is seen as not being careful or accurate in making statements,” he said.

“It would affect not only Malaysians and the people of Johor, but also investors who have already invested and those planning to invest in the JS-SEZ.”

The exchange follows comments by Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim, who criticised Onn Hafiz, also Johor Barisan Nasional chairman, for using the JS-SEZ issue in political campaigning.

“The matter of signing the agreement is between the Prime Minister of Malaysia and the Prime Minister of Singapore. It has not reached the level of the Menteri Besar,” Anwar said.

Onn Hafiz had earlier claimed that the federal government had repeatedly delayed the launch of the JS-SEZ masterplan, which was initially expected at the end of 2025, later moved to March 30, and then postponed again to the fourth quarter of the year.

He said further delays would affect investor certainty, particularly in relation to investment direction, incentives, infrastructure development, talent development and inter-agency coordination within the special economic zone. July 4, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Malaysia-Brunei to discuss regional haze, border security at Annual Leaders’ Consultation

Malaysia

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Three jewellery shop robberies in five days sparks concern

Malaysia

Elderly man, son and granddaughter burnt to death in Sabah house fire

Malaysia

Wife of Pantai Jerejak ADUN urges court to drop case against husband

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Malaysia escalates haze concerns to Indonesia as Sarawak air quality worsens

Malaysia

Warning lights are not a 'license' to ignore traffic laws – Bukit Aman

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre