Malaysia

Negeri Sembilan assembly erupts over RM180k allocation to PH lawmakers before dissolution

Opposition and BN lawmakers demanded answers over an RM180,000 allocation approved for Pakatan Harapan representatives shortly before the Negeri Sembilan assembly was dissolved

Updated 1 hour ago · Published on 18 Aug 2026 5:25PM

Negeri Sembilan assembly erupts over RM180k allocation to PH lawmakers before dissolution
State representatives question the timing of the allocation, transparency of the approval and use of public funds - August 18, 2026

THE Negeri Sembilan State Legislative Assembly descended into a heated exchange today over an RM180,000 allocation approved for Pakatan Harapan (PH) representatives just days before the state assembly was dissolved, with opposition and Barisan Nasional lawmakers demanding greater transparency over the use of public funds.

The controversy emerged during the first special sitting of the first term of the 15th Negeri Sembilan State Legislative Assembly, with lawmakers questioning the timing of the allocation and whether it was appropriate for funds to be approved so close to the dissolution.

Datuk Saiful Yazan Sulaiman (Johol-BN) likened the allocation to an election fund being distributed under the guise of public spending and called for the current state government to investigate the matter.

“It seems almost like an election fund for them, and if it is true that the allocation was made so close to the dissolution of the assembly, then it raises serious questions regarding appropriateness, priority, and governance,” he said.

“Any financial decision made at the last minute before the dissolution of the assembly must carry stronger justification, and if this is true, the public has a right to ask questions,” he added.

Saiful Yazan said the allegations were serious and embarrassing, and called for a detailed investigation into when the allocation was approved, who received it, its intended purpose, the payment process, compliance with financial procedures and the actual benefits delivered to the public.

“If everything was done properly, present the facts. If there are weaknesses, admit them and correct them,” he said.

“If there are elements that warrant investigation and evidence of wrongdoing, hand the matter over to the authorities for legal action.”

However, Teo Kok Seong (Bahau-PH) rejected suggestions that the approval had breached governance standards, arguing that the allocation had been approved according to established procedures.

He also compared the matter with the previous unity state government’s handling of allocation requests from opposition lawmakers.

“At that time, there were requests from PN colleagues who wanted allocations, but we did not grant them to them then, and I think everyone is well aware of that,” Teo said.

“If the opposition has pressed the button refusing to align with the previous government, I think this is quite normal.”

The dispute intensified when Ridzuan Ahmad (Gemas-PN) questioned why the RM180,000 allocation was approved to cover the period from July to October despite the state assembly having already been dissolved in May.

Datuk Seri Jalaluddin Alias (Pertang-BN) also challenged Teo’s explanation that the allocation was intended specifically for PH assemblymen rather than all lawmakers serving under the unity administration.

“We withdrew support for the Chief Minister, but not the government. I want to correct my friend, Bahau,” Jalaluddin said.

“Meaning, if the Honourable Member received it, then we should have received it too.”

Datuk Mohd Zaidy Abdul Kadir (Jeram Padang-BN) called for the funds to be returned, arguing that the allocation involved public money rather than personal funds.

Datuk Dr Mohamad Rafie Ab Malik (Ampangan-PN) meanwhile alleged that the controversy involved not only the RM180,000 allocation but also an additional RM45,000 top-up.

“The dissolution of the assembly was announced on 5 June, yet the letter allegedly came out on 4 June. When did that letter actually come out?” Mohamad Rafie asked.

“When was that money deposited into the accounts of those involved? Was it on 4 June or after 5 June, after the dissolution? I think these are questions that must be answered in detail for the sake of transparency, as this is public money, not personal funds.”

The controversy centres on a letter dated June 4 that surfaced online during the previous state election campaign, outlining a RM180,000 financial contribution for public welfare involving PH assemblymen and covering the July-to-September period.

The lawmakers’ exchanges have now placed the approval, timing and disbursement of the allocation under renewed scrutiny, with calls for the relevant financial records and procedures to be clarified in the interest of public accountability. - August 18, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Nepturis received RM16.4m for Klang Utara police headquarters, court told

Sports & Fitness

Heat takes toll on athletes at SUKMA 2026

Malaysia

MOF denies viral ‘RM1,700 eMADANI aid’ for housewives, single mothers and senior citizens

Malaysia

Pahang police reject claims of drug cartel operating in Genting Highlands

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Chow hits back at Rafizi, says DAP’s decision to stay must be respected

By Ian McIntyre

Sports & Fitness

RM200 Madani F1 tickets sell out as Malaysians flock to Sepang race

Malaysia

CAP claims existence of 'Malaysian Epstein Class' behind Tabung Haji scandal

Malaysia

CPJ calls for withdrawal of excessive RM100m defamation suit against veteran journalist

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

All Malaysia Airlines pilots test negative for drugs

You may be interested

Malaysia

CPJ calls for withdrawal of excessive RM100m defamation suit against veteran journalist

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Govt open to study integrating GST, SST

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Tanker driver claims trial over deaths of mother and 12-year-old son in Temerloh crash

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

MCMC-JIM pact to intensify crackdown on cross-border crime and digital syndicates

Malaysia

Motorcyclists account for two-thirds of road deaths as govt targets 50% cut by 2030

Malaysia

MOF denies viral ‘RM1,700 eMADANI aid’ for housewives, single mothers and senior citizens

Malaysia

Unhealthy air quality recorded in Selangor, 58 areas at moderate level