Malaysia

Penang Prison enhances Covid-19 SOP after prisoner's death

The prison director has not revealed the number of people who are in isolation, though Covid-19 tests are ongoing

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 07 Oct 2020 4:00PM

Penang Prison enhances Covid-19 SOP after prisoner's death
Penang Health director Dr Asmayani Khalib (3rd from R) is seen entering Penang Prison today. – Bernama pic, October 7, 2020

GEORGE TOWN – Following the death of an inmate, Penang Prison has enhanced the stipulated standard operating procedure (SOP) to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Prison director Mohamed Jusoh Ismail said all prison personnel and prisoners who were close contacts of the dead prisoner, who was later confirmed to be Covid-19 positive, have been put under quarantine and isolated from other personnel and inmates.

However, he declined to reveal the number of close contacts who were currently being quarantined.

“I cannot tell the number of those isolated, I can only say that those who have been in close contact with the deceased have been quarantined and even underwent Covid-19 screening tests conducted by the Health Ministry (MOH) yesterday.

“Today there are others who underwent the Covid-19 screening test in prison and even the Penang Hospital director was present at the prison to monitor the situation,” he told Bernama today.

Mohamed Jusoh said so far those quarantined did not show any signs of infection, even prisoners or staff who were not isolated were in good condition and did not show any symptoms.

Currently, there are about 2,300 prisoners and 320 staff at the Penang Prison.

“Until now, the MOH has not been informed on how the inmate who died contracted Covid-19... based on prison information the last time the man went out of the prison and returned was on September 9, no more after that,” he added.

Meanwhile, Bernama spotted movements of MOH vehicles in and out of the prison entrance, including one ferrying Penang Health director Dr Asmayani Khalid.

Health workers started entering the prison at 9am to conduct Covid-19 screening tests for prison personnel and inmates.

Yesterday, Health director-general Tan Sri Noor Hisham Abdullah confirmed that an 85-year-old man died while receiving treatment at the Penang Hospital, the senior citizen also had a history of high blood pressure and mental illness. – Bernama, October 7, 2020

Related News

Tech / 13h

Penang in need of financial centre to boost electrical and electronics sectors - CM

Places / 2d

Penang set to be named first smart city in the country

Malaysia / 5d

Sumatra earthquake felt in Penang, no damage reported

Events / 5d

Penang records another major healthcare-related FDI

Opinion / 6d

The alchemy of staying

Malaysia / 1w

To leave or to stay? Penang and Kedah DAP remain undecided

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

I am touched by M. Kavita’s dedication – PM Anwar

Malaysia

Cabinet approves 17 measures to beef up KLIA security checks, controls

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

SK Air Hitam Labu student among three killed after being hit by immigration truck

Malaysia

Just accept the court decision – Ramkarpal tells Sanusi

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Five arrested as Johor police open three probes into reversed state and Malaysian flags

Malaysia

Immigration truck tragedy: PM extends condolences, orders thorough probe

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

Malaysia

Anwar: Malaysia’s One China policy has not changed since 1974